advertisement

Skinheads

The Redskins where an excellent band imo and went to see them many times.

At a venue in Birmingham pals and I turned up mid-afternoon.
The doors were open so we wandered in and hung around while they set up and did a sound check.
Once finished, the band and crew sat down to a rider provided meal, and Chris invited us to join them.
That's the kinda outfit they were.

I did a cover feature on the Redskins for Sounds.

I remember reading that :)

The Redskins where an excellent band imo and went to see them many times.

At a venue in Birmingham pals and I turned up mid-afternoon.
The doors were open so we wandered in and hung around while they set up and did a sound check.
Once finished, the band and crew sat down to a rider provided meal, and invited us to join them.
That's the kinda outfit they were.

I remember reading that :)

Blimey. It's good to know that it was read :)

I thought the band were great. I am amazed that Chris Dean hasn't resurfaced. Other left wingers like Swells wrote features and did gigs for years.

Jack

I saw a (imsmc) 20th anniversary of the miners strike doc' (can't remember who made, or title!) which featured a small interview with CD.
He was living in Paris at the time, and gave the impression he left the UK and keeping a low profile due to constant menacing from neo-nazi fcukwits.

I can remember seeing a new Skinhead band appearing on Top of The Pops, they were called Slade! with their white parallel trousers, short hair, braces and DMs. Then all the right wing/ bother boys stories hit the Red Tops and for their next single about 3 weeks later they had toned down the look and all had much more hair, in fact Noddy still has the same hair today (I wonder if he keeps it in a box?)

Oi was a racist movement a collaboration in which bands like sham and rejects were caught up in due to the fact that there songs were more football anthems, therefore the thugs adopted them.. also didn't like the reference to the Richard Allen books I thought that was wrong.. on the bright side I did see sham, the rejects and the upstarts at an alldayer and they were all superb...

As a 9 year old in 77 i remember getting my mum to dye an old t shirt black for the end of year school disco, i sat at home for a week before the event joining safety pins together swapping between "The Clash" and "The Jam" I knew both bands but had no idea what was going on. It must have been all around me at the time with my best mates brothers, it couldn't have been closer to home as the oldies were into Kenny Rogers and John Denver. They must have thought it was just a phase...... I'm glad i didn't get too caught up in it.

Really enjoyed the programme and it was good to find out the origins of the movement, I was too young to remember the first skinheads. I was on the fringes around the time of 2 Tone, loved the music but didn't have the money to buy both the music and the clothes, so just bought the records (wish I still had them).

Cheers BB

No expert but I remember early 'Skins' in Nottm. Sometime around 67-69. I didn't take much notice of the finer points of the male attire. Just Wranglers and boots as I recall. Crombies in winter. There were so many sub groups at the time and far less friction between them than is alleged.
Young ladies in summer attire of wranglers, white T shirts with braces, and white tennis shoes. Short hair too, but not extreme skinhead. A very endearing look on the right girls.
My impression at the time was of very much a non violent sub set/descent from Mods, following on the interest in Ska/RockSteady etc and pre-dating the 'two tone' thing by a decade.

the thing I remember about that 67-69 era was the competition to see who had the widest trousers, with the suedeheads getting over 28 inch parallels and the near hippies going nuclear with 30 inch loons (or flares)

I was born in 1969 so as a teenager only ever knew skinheads as racist and right wing and it wasn't until later that I discovered where bands like The Specials and The Selector actually came from. I love that whole late sixties Suedehead/Skinhead scene really sharp clothes and of course the music, at a time when the whole hippy prog rock thing came out a lot working class kids who wore uniforms or old building clothes to work during the week understandably wanted to dress up, look smart and go out dancing at the weekends.

Will give it another shot, the opening is very similar to how it was around here also. Hippy types virtually overrunning pubs where the landlord raised no objections, not sure they ever earned any money out of the hippies, sharing a pint of beer between 4 of them all evening.

Bloss

never seen the video for ages now (will watch again) but I think up here the hippies were the middle class and the skinheads the working class...

Oh yes, The hippies here also middle class and pot less (in more ways than one) usually.
I was a skinhead with middle class ambitions, failed on that one, thank fcuk.

Bloss

advertisement

Back