advertisement

Skiing - what has happened to me? :-(

tiggers

pfm Member
OK, I was never a great skier, but I was what I would call competent. Haven't skied for about 5 years, but am out in Andorra with partner and her teenagers... and it's like I can't ski any more. My self preservation gene has kicked in massively and I find myself fearful as soon as I build up any real speed... whereas I used to love a decent slope, I now find myself just hoping to survive it without calamity... it's not fun anymore :( I'm nearly 59 and not as supremely fit as I once was, but I'm no couch potato either... anyone else experienced this sort of thing with skiing or any other pastime?And yes I know... I'm a wuss :D

OK, I was never a great skier, but I was what I would call competent. Haven't skied for about 5 years, but am out in Andorra with partner and her teenagers... and it's like I can't ski any more. My self preservation gene has kicked in massively and I find myself fearful as soon as I build up any real speed... whereas I used to love a decent slope, I now find myself just hoping to survive it without calamity... it's not fun anymore :( I'm nearly 59 and not as supremely fit as I once was, but I'm no couch potato either... anyone else experienced this sort of thing with skiing or any other pastime?And yes I know... I'm a wuss :D
I tend to find a bad day is followed by a good day. So update us tomorrow.

If that fails, you can always try a ….. Performance Enhancing Leffe…. As long as you only have one Leffe, then the improvements are huge. If you have 3 Leffes, it all goes downhill!!!

Ah yes, this is due to being an old c**t. Now I was a pretty good skier and being an old c**t found myself last year sticking to blue whereas It was always black. Now covid meant there was a 4 year gap but it was still a shock!

Ah yes, this is due to being an old c**t. Now I was a pretty good skier and being an old c**t found myself last year sticking to blue whereas It was always black. Now covid meant there was a 4 year gap but it was a shock!
Yeah, that's sort of where I am... enjoying the blues, but some of the reds are stressing me out. Think you're right on the age thing though. :D

Man I want to hit the slopes again. I did a couple of seasons but shit it was like 26 years ago!

I can barely get out of bed without groaning so I know it would be a bad time lol.

I'm a fairly good skier and mono skier (still have one!). My brother is next level. But we are both bored of it. I stopped skiing 8 years ago and just do hiking, cross country and drinking but my brother takes his skis on his backpack and walks for days hunting virgin powder. He sleeps in cabins in the mountains. He's 58. So he may not agree yet that age is restricting him

I don't know what happened. I was obsessed with it for years. Maybe the lift queuing, the cost of the pass and repeating the same runs just got less and less appealing.

Performance Enhancing Leffe
That's the way!

I'm sure you'll get the ski legs back again after a day or two (without the Leffe), just need to get back into the swing of it.

Aged 58, I was in the 3V in January encouraging the kids (OK...adults now) down couloirs and moguls and off piste. Without the Leffe...

Strangely enough the video tiggers linked above was sent to them as pre trip inspiration...

wife and i started to feel the same a couple of years ago and realised that we could no longer make up for weak technique with fitness since then we have done a couple of week long courses and are really enjoying it again. expensive solution tho.

I gave up alpine skiing over 20 years, don't know why, it just happened that I didn't go away on the yearly trip to the Alps. And, yeah, I'm an old dick now.

Falling in your 50s or 60s is not the same. I broke 4 ribs falling backwards a few years ago. So painful I thought I might be dead. Very lucky not to puncture a lung.
If you ski continuously through older age it is probably ok.

I had a hospital appointment last week and had to have help to lie down on an examination table and help to get back up again. I could possibly have done it myself but it would have been a very uncontrolled operation and I was pleased to accept the assistance. I’m also starting to feel a little shaky when I pop down to the shops on my bike. I know I shall never run for a bus (or anything else) again!

As you get older, the mind seems to be far more aware of the hazards. Skiing is a fairly high risk sport - plenty of wrecked knees and worse

In the olden days people, post after ski, used to go down the slope from 'Crazy Cangaroo' in St Anton on their a**es (or so I've been told). Plenty of bone's broken :(

Plenty of skiers here in their 70's and 80's. The average skier age is low to mid 60's, last I saw.

I'm 66, fell over doing 48mph (on ice). Being determined, I did the same run the following day (couple of stitches and a cricket ball shin lump later) and.... very nearly fell over gain. Massive twat. I will do it again though, fabulous scenery and generally fun...

Last time I went skiing was in the Niseko alps in Hokkaido in Japan. I broke my tib and fib on a ****ing button lift after doing black runs all day and spent 3 weeks in hospital before I could fly home. Japanese hospital food is fantastic.

Much better day today, stuck to the blues and enjoyed it... was skiing pretty OK by the end of the day, not going to push my luck tomorrow though :D

Thanks for all the replies, made me feel a lot better ... getting old is shite though :p

You just need 2 or 3 days to get back into the swing of things. In my youth I did some ski racing for the St Andrews and Cambridge Uni ski teams. Now off piste and ski touring mainly.

advertisement

Back