Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Six Core Speaker cable

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by westsea, Apr 12, 2018.

1. westsea

westsea Retirement present

Help - I need to rewire the cables from ATC active amps (they are mounted remotely) and partly for domestic bliss and I hope a small improvement in sound quality would like to use six core cable, started off with Van Damme 2.5mm by 6 cores but deliveries seem very uncertain. Searching the internet I found Sommer Elephant multi-core on Studio Spares.com, six cores, four are 4mm sq and two are 2.5mm sq about £8 per meter, only need about 7metres total so a good price and in stock.
    Thought to use the two 4mm sq cores for the bass and midrange 200 and 100 watts respectively and the 2.5mm for the 50 watt treble, probably overkill but seems OK.
    Has anyone any experience of Sommer Cable and can comment on its quality and its application to hifi. Just that I have not heard of them previously and this is a job I don't want to do again in the near future!
    It isn't the intention to start another cable thread - please!

2. divedeepdog

divedeepdog pfm Member

I've recently got 6 x 4mm Van Damme tour grade, it works and is reassuringly thick, :D
    I tried some AudioQuest Type 6 from eBay, but I believe it was fake so beware. Thankfully I tested continuity before switching on, all the earth leads were connected .

3. orangeart

orangeart KJF Audio Ltd.

Yeah, just use the Van Damme stuff. Get it from main dealer VDC trading.

4. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

I use the Van Damme 4mm Tour Grade Black going to the bass drivers of my Yammies. As above, it’s reasuringly thick :). In fact it took great care to fit it to the SpeakON connectors I used - so I wouldn’t get the 6mm ;).