advertisement

Single-malt drought

Whilst on the subject of non age statement malts, I used to love this one, as it was one of the few (heavily!) peated whiskys you could get for under £20. Unfortunately, there only seems to be a few bottles around now and the price is climbing. I have no idea of it's age, but since Ledaig have a ten year old, it was certainly a lot less than that.

Noticed quite a few appearing in local supermarket ie non-age malts. They do tend to be cheaper and this is probably driving the market with the continual rise in aged malts. Talisker and Jura both have non-age versions in fancy packaging.

Laphroig 10 is pretty cheap at Asda at the moment, can't remember exactly how much, but somewhere in the region of 27 quid. I landed a spare bottle the other day.

Laphroig 10 is pretty cheap at Asda at the moment, can't remember exactly how much, but somewhere in the region of 27 quid. I landed a spare bottle the other day.

They also have an Aberlour 10 for £20. Nice, but delicate taste, ie the opposite of Laphroaig.

Laphroaig is my least favourite, I can spot it a mile off by nose alone. I don't know why I dislike it so much because I like the other Islays. Oban is about my favourite (yes I know it's not Islay but close) and I'm currenltly working on Speyside so there's no shortage of other whiskies even if most of them aren't of the style I prefer. When I say I'm working on Speyside, I can see the River Spey from the canteen window and if I go to the very end of the site I can probably throw a stone in. Nice spot, or it will be come spring.

Another Lagavulin fan here also lamenting its crazy price but I have found the new (to me) Talisker Storm extremely good at a slightly more sensible price.

I read the title as "single malt draught" on first reading and thought my god those guys are hardcore drinkers!.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: SMWS. Job done.

Agreed. Some outstanding whisky to be had from them. Not exactly supermarket prices, due to the single cask bottling's, but well worth it.

advertisement

Back