advertisement

Simple Wills for Simple People....

‘Never meet a poor solicitor’ I just love stereotyping, for everyone earning shedloads there are probably a hundred earning less than £40k and many less than £30k. The overheads are horrendous and their trade body shafts them which doesn’t happened with most professional bodies. Although the training regime has changed it took 6 years to qualify which is six months longer than barristers who are similar in that most earn a hell of a lot less that the public would expect.

That’s fine, however, what happens if Mr and Mrs Mull are in a plane together which falls out of the sky? Or a car accident in which one party has life changing care requirements etc etc etc? I know it’s a grim topic and chances of this type of scenario are hopefully very slim but it needs covering off IMHO.
That POA that’s needed, not a will.

Thanks both. We only have one child and she is great so I will risk it.
Note of caution.
Let’s consider you have an estate worth £400K.
You don’t leave a will and pop your clogs.
Your wife gets £270K straight off and a half interest of the remainder.
Your daughter gets an interest in the remaining half.
Meanwhile she has married a rogue and philanderer and some years down the line they divorce and he demands his share.
Big problems for wife and daughter.

Or

Make a simple mirror will leaving everything to partner. No problems in future.

You are The Rev Ian Paisley AICMFP. ;)

Any other reasons / alternatives beyond those @MikeMA gave?
I am currently welfare attorney for a relative.
She insisted her solicitors acted as finance attorneys.
Bill so far for 8 months - £16,000.
They are also her executors for which they will also charge similar hourly rates but take a % of the estate as well.
Utter sharks the lot of them.

I am currently welfare attorney for a relative.
She insisted her solicitors acted as finance attorneys.
Bill so far for 8 months - £16,000.
They are also her executors for which they will also charge similar hourly rates but take a % of the estate as well.
Utter sharks the lot of them.

Yowch. :eek: Thanks for that - I shan't ask them to be executor in my will then.

And green shield stamps, double on a Wednesday.
Nah, they were Divi stamps.

Back on topic, as Bob says, use a solicitor and get mirror wills. We never really saw the need until the boy was born, so sorted it out soon after. Around £150 or £200 for peace of mind that it is all done right is a reasonable price to pay. Find a local solicitor, personally recommend by someone you know would be useful.

advertisement

Back