advertisement

Simple good preamp for a SS amp emulating valves..

Hi,
I need a simple but good preamp to use with a single-ended, 2x8 watt Class A power amp. I use one input so I figure that it would basically be a volume control.
I have heard about passive preamps, but with no personal expereince. The amp has an input impedance of 10 Kohm. The amp is solid state not tubes.

Preamps are a lot... But I want to stay below 1000, be it €, GBP or $...
Thanks for any suggestion.

H.

Good quality dual mono passive pre for potentially well under 1k - Khozmo.

The chap will discuss impedance etc if you ask.

Why not a standard integrated SS amplifier that has a preamplifier out? A darn side cheaper than a dedicated preamplifier. What are you using as a source (sources)? You mention single input which opens up using a FocusRite Solo, very low distortion, huge dynamic range and you pick those up (pre-loved) for next to nothing.

I've visited the website, products look well done and interesting, thanks.

H.

Yeah obvs down to your use case/tastes, but I got one effectively as a balance control with the valve amp I used to have and it’s a nice sturdy thing that had no discernible negative effect on SQ used in that way or when bypassing the amp’s pre-section and using the Khozmo as an actual preamp.

@AmadeusMozart :

I've looked the FocusRite and I don't actually understand what type of box it is.. :( I have nothing vs pro audio, but I should understand how it fits in my system. As for an integrated with pre-out, I use a CD player as source; with 2V output, I really think that the simpler the preamp - almost an attenuator, isn't it? - the better the sound. I'll check what I can find, thanks.

This:

https://copland.dk/dac215

would be a great solution, I've heard it at a dealer's I know. It's a DAC - would possibly better my CDP's own, older chip - and a preamp, with a mixed Class-A/tubes circuit. Only problem is, it's around €1800..

Mfa in classifieds at under 1k if you want . It will sell fast though !!
I'd go with that given my experience of the MFA Classic which I used successfully with a valve amp, Naim 250, Avondale stereo build, Aesthetix Atlas...

- If used regularly, no maintenance, otherwise just the occasional switch cleaning (easy to do)
- Useful volume control unless you go in for 3am quiet listening when you don't live alone (in which case the lower end volume steps can sometimes be a little too large)
- Inputs and outputs can be easily mixed over two XLR and four RCA inputs into either XLR or RCA outputs.

advertisement

Back