advertisement

SiC rectifier diodes

davidsrsb

pfm Member
Starting a new thread about SiC rectifier diodes, to declutter the Avondale thread. These come in 650V and 1200V. The lower seems good for power amplifiers. The reverse leakage hot is good, less than 1mA. Forwards voltage is just over 1V. Switching should be clean. The snag is the price. Usually in a TO-220 package

I`m a bit out of touch, I hadn`t heard about these until it came up on the Avondale thread.

Apart from price the downside appears to be a large increase in forward drop over standard Schottky, if you don`t really need the much higher voltage rating.

I remain to be convinced of using high speed diodes to rectify 50Hz AC.
I've settled on the q speed diodes, fast, very quiet, and with traffo snubbed correctly, pretty much measurably perfect. Can I hear a difference, nope, but I can see it on the scope so why not?

AP1GczP_HVw8CcPwXVjcGVZ3RdzGdxEcNkY3YxL26o-f7w1BYSY20DFZl_Y8nUiPLiEllzPnQH-sZRs2mgMXvBhRZHEuyhEKpyfRXiCwY4OR1UkO-km7OGR1th8p6Gjr5ZEsXcNKMEZ-039Uv-dXlUbmXcO4VMs6Xg1-y1aHC-GTjwoK1o8EhuqYXzF__apsR3Ti8bzv11E1dKrcEFjocWy4BF9iYqt_2F964yzpKgJFNH82PLSfMrdCNJn0dnwpKdMNKt888UEPet7pah4QDiY97Ts0uo7O9QvK0irVqeoHfbLSHk26YKZZ9vjszSBllHqFfXeY101enQZ-NDTaG9DWGPneZnrDrglJIFpyE-q0V8sGv_WwSwTxpgxk9iLInICg3TDzRgKMi-Ne4HyfAwIIH9ch7uga6ZuozCSLt3kaDTmaKf6fi4SwHn38yM5T3iT_So24GG3YDojOnY4YQawI93x6GY3VB0jyiZjJHLR0OGFtkpu9boaYR3GsEO80ZStxCRYPmrEyvuYxi1MpcnmAa4CQtEw4gE_MJYp5B-QUSgwlrZ1ORFK5bupChGaikeZnCjlUAsQ-QUAhWUdwtQcYC4Js8_nsWOITKZQOyD7ARIFkPE1Y7jgUM7iCQmYxdX29w5GQdeiplm3eDnhMFuBUhocKqe0neqmh-zPQs3coXaPf-KESaFM4rs8GgXS6Oe9g-YqFdzoxaTKLhXyn6rI1ma1WcUFWYkV-45BKR5AARqlG5ZIg0GHXFtKLkQ9JqEIkyjhzAFd1peXBdPStM6PFgu6LD_VV3nHALW0uKI12tXhjV5Wor4Tnylj1XZeDSwiFscVLUMElD8MrC2pPzmCy6TxB6gaEpW8WWSV19utkP6M57tKkKa25AeNTrz3ADplFwdOdyDRY64URDDah3wsjesHsRPQ=w1284-h1713-s-no
I have tons of those TO220 fast diodes, never figured out what to do with them. Still can’t. ☺️

I bought 100 of 600V SIC diodes. Started using them in the cathodes of valve circuits, decided I didn't like them so I also have a pile of them in a drawer. They could be turned into a 1200V diode bridge with equalising resistors but I'm too lazy to bother with using 8 of them plus all the resistors. .

Q speed diodes have a higher Vf, around 2V.
The 125C reverse leakage is typically 3.7mA at 625V for the 30A part, so significant

In domestic use, I would hope rectifiers run cool! The real advantage of SiC is you can safely run them very hot, so for applications like trains or big furnaces, you can handle a lot of current in a compact package. Higher forward voltage means they dissipate a bit more, so you need it.

Higher forward voltage means they dissipate a bit more, so you need it.
SiC Schottkys have lower Vf than the Q speed according to datasheets. No fast high voltage diode is going to be much less than 1V. The basic old technology bridges are around 1V Vf and huge reverse recovery spikes to ring

I remain to be convinced of using high speed diodes to rectify 50Hz AC.
Me too, but I've limited experience, however if I got it right for normal audio kit it's about the soft recovery not so much the high speed, so you want HEXFREDs. I tried these in a C-J MV52 and it was better, blacker background, I don't think I imagined it.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back