advertisement

Sibelius Finlandia - orchestral/choral version

nicetone

pfm Member
Wondering whether anyone might recommend to me please a CD with a choral version of Finlandia as per the first night of this year’s proms which was performed by the BBC Singers?

BBC Radio 3 - BBC Proms, 2023, Prom 1: First Night of the Proms

I’ve sampled a straightforward approx. 2.5 minutes long Finlandia choral, and pleasant though it was, I’d like to get the full orchestral/choral version.

I already have the orchestral version in the Colin Davis/Boston SO 5CD set.

Thanks.

Hi Alan – many thanks for this recommendation – I nearly jumped for it immediately but pulled up with a screech when I realised that only the male choir is listed for the Finlandia piece. Don’t want to seem picky but I want to get a recording of a mixed choir.

Having done a bit more digging, these two appear to be possibilities on the Presto site, Finnish National Opera chorus and Finnish Philharmonic choir.

Sibelius: Cantatas - Ondine: ODE7542 - download | Presto Music

Sibelius: Academic March (1919), etc. - Ondine: ODE9362 - download | Presto Music

Obviously the Presto samples don’t last long enough to get to the choral part, but there are these two clips online. The first is off the CD and seems decent enough though in my ignorance I considered whether of the two recordings the philharmonic choir might edge it over an opera chorus. Appreciate that is likely splitting hairs. Can’t compare both actual recordings - the second clip is a live proms extract from 2017.

Finlandia, Op. 26 (version for mixed chorus and orchestra) - YouTube

Sibelius: Finlandia (Prom 75) - Bing video

Thanks again.

This is my long standing favourite, the othe tracks are outstanding, particularly Oma Maa (Our Native Land).
Cantatas https://amzn.eu/d/8daYvRH

KlUZ0Vq.jpg

Health warning for your speakers/ neighbours: wide dynamic range.:)

advertisement

Back