advertisement

Shure M75ED

hi,
any opinions of this cartridge,
im wanting to use it in a sme 3009 s2
in a thorens 124 mk2.
regards, peter.

Nothing stunning in its original guise, but add a Jico 'SAS' stylus to it and it becomes very good indeed. I'm using one in a Jelco arm with a Technics SP-10. Natural sounding, a little warm, tons of details with the new stylus - a good balance of attributes. Should be a good match for the SME arm.

hi, interesting, where do i go to get a jico stylus, i replaced mine with one from the stylus lady, to be honest i dont find it bad, but i dont know if running in makes a difference as its pretty new, peter.

hi,
in a thorens 124 mk2.
regards, peter.
I used one maybe 30 years or more ago. It was, to my ears at the time, pretty awful. I tried various loadings to try to tame the horrific treble, but I don't think I ever really got it sounding particularly good. It was a better tracker than the Goldring G800, but both were really low end budget cartridges. I moved on to the A&R P77 and the Rega R100, which were on a different planet sound wise. Then fell in love with the Decca London, but that is a whole different story.

hi,
in a thorens 124 mk2.
regards, peter.

I have one in a Mission 774 arm on a Linn LP12. It has an Expert Pickups stylus fitted. In comparison with an original Shure I have, the one on the Linn has great detail, impressive bass and good separation. Not a great deal of 'space' around the recordings, though. Compared with my Entre MC ( which has gone for examination to Expert ) the M75ED is a bit 'flat', with little warmth. The other ( standard ) M75ED runs into a passive preamp./Quad 303 power amp. and into B & W DM1s. It suits that system perfectly...

SAS M75 ed stylus is pretty essential in the absence of a unworn Shure original. But the SAS stylus transforms the thing into a whole other game.

Yes still warm and 70's ish but a huge depth and detail unlike any Shure stylus ever provided. Best stylus I ever bought and affordable

I even have a 78rpm stylus for mine too and can now sell one of my 3 arms off seeing I dont need a separate arm for 78 or MC now.

If the SAS is too much dosh you can try the Jico HE

The HE on my 95 compares favourably to the original stylus in timbre & is not far behind the SAS - on some records I prefer it.

hi, have fun, are you using the jico he in the m95he cartridge, im thinking of getting a he to fit in my 75ed, i have a pretty new stylus in the 75ed i got of the stylus lady, i dont know the quality of these, but to me it dosent sound too bad at all peter

one other thing do stylus need to run in, this one only has a few hours on it, would there be a difference in sound with more hours on it, peter

hi, have fun, are you using the jico he in the m95he cartridge, im thinking of getting a he to fit in my 75ed, i have a pretty new stylus in the 75ed i got of the stylus lady, i dont know the quality of these, but to me it dosent sound too bad at all peter

No the HE & SAS are in std 95's (I think they're same as the HE except for badge & stylus)

The 75 is louder output 4-5mv so sounds bigger, you get more sense of depth / soundstage with the 95 & a little more refined than the 75 (fitted with a shure stylus).

So, in some sort of conclusion, a non-Shure stylus is better ? The Jico ( which I admit I have never heard of ) appears to be 'very good'. I looked up 'The Stylus Lady' ( shouldn't it be 'Styli' Lady ? ) and she sells a 75ED type stylus for £16. ( I bought one for £17 elsewhere. It runs happily in my AR XA ) I'm happy with my Expert Pickups stylus. Well, that is, until my Entre moving coil cartridge returns ! MGM .

I used one in the late 70's mounted on an awful Garrard DD75 table. Sounded like crap. Then for a wag I mounted it in an original Systemdek/Syrinx PU2 with mass ring and it became much, much better. But like MM says above, it was spanked by my Entre One.

The current Shure 97ed is probably the best bet these days, if you want a genuine Shure.I use one on my Transcriptors Reference and it is very pleasant. And you don't need an oem stylus replacement.

I used one in the late 70s mounted on an awful Garrard DD75 table. Sounded like crap. Then for a wag I mounted it in an original Systemdek/Syrinx PU2 with mass ring and it became much, much better. But like MM says above, it was spanked by my Entre One.

Good to see someone else who appreciates the Entre 1. I bought mine in 1978 (!) and after 3 new styli from Expert Pickups, is still going strong... MGM .

Note that this generation of Shure cartridge, while a good match mechanically for the SME arm, was not a particularly good match electronically with the arm cable. The standard SME 3009 S2 arm cable had a capacitance of 100 to 200pF (depending on how it was measured). Shure's recommendation for this cartridge was 400-500pF (including the phono input stage capacitance). The standard SME arm setup produced a droop in the upper midrange (2k-8k) with a peak around 14k and rapid dropoff thereafter, giving the cartridge a bit of a fizzy but recessed sound. SME addressed this with a small adapter for the cable (plugged in between the arm bottom and the arm cable) to increase the capacitance bu 100-200pF (can't remember the exact number, but you should be able to find it on the web).

Fascinating - can you comment on the standard R 300 cable capicitance and or the Ittok standard cabling

Resistance sums are beyong my ken at present

advertisement

Back