advertisement

Should I go Klipsch 600M or Triangle Comete EZ

lofi

For a number of reasons I am parting with my Linn Ninkas and moving to bookshelf. I have decided that I'm looking for a forward sound, plenty of detail in the treble and lively presentation.

I was just gonna get the Klipsch but have had my head turned by the look of the Triangle and some reviews that describe the treble as more refined.

I’d welcome opinions.

You'll likely get more help if you also state the room size/amp/music genres/volume level

Sorry can't help with your query not heard those 2 speakers

You'll likely get more help if you also state the room size/amp/music genres/volume level

Sorry can't help with your query not heard those 2 speakers

Thanks, here's some info.

The room is 5.5m x 3.4m (18 x 11'). Speakers are on the long wall with listening opposite.

Running all streaming through a Modi 3, Denon pre (home theatre), into a Linn AV5125 with dynamic power supply.

The speakers would be run as both the front channels for tv and then in stereo only for music. I have a small sub that is currently disabled for music listening.

Main music is heavy rock, though I also like county and folk. The Mrs occasionally listens to classical.

Having heard the Klipsch RP 600m in that room setup a few times with an old Planar 3 with Inspire upgrades and a Quad Vena mk2 (using the internal phono) they are real nice.

I have the Antal EZ's which are of course bigger, and at the time I had a Quad Vena mk1 and Tom Evans Microgroove mk1, and a Clearaudio Concept TT. I found the sounds to be very different, and would highly recommend hearing them both.
I would guess maybe the Triangles for your needs? But impossible to say really without you hearing them both.
Both are great speakers though, and will give you a version of what you are after.

The Klipsch set up is still at a mates house very nearby, and I'm in Norwich so if you were this way I could try and get you in front of both systems. (mine has changed a lot in front of the speakers so less easy comparision)

Sorry for all the "both"s

Up here in the Scotland these guys have both plus a few others like the Kef LS50 that are worth a listen. Dunno where you are.

https://www.audioemotion.co.uk/loudspeakers-146-c.asp

Do you use the Denon EQ when listening to music? If so you can tame/boost those Klipsch. I'd take the ASR stuff with a pinch of salt, they seem to measure but not do listening tests or at least if things don't measure well they seem to get caned, whether they sound good or not who knows.

Scotland would be a bit of a trek from the SE unfortunately.

I put the Denon in pure direct for music so don’t eq at all. It’s been about 20 years since I used eq or tone controls. Always used to be frowned upon but times change.

Scotland would be a bit of a trek from the SE unfortunately.

I put the Denon in pure direct for music so don’t eq at all. It’s been about 20 years since I used eq or tone controls. Always used to be frowned upon but times change.
Nowt wrong with EQ and Room Correction, that hair shirt stuff needs leaving in the past imho. MiniDSP, Dirac, Lyngdorf are all fab systems and can really sort out a crap sounding room.

If you buy new you have distance selling rules so can effectively try before you buy although with HiFi the shop is usually fine about loaning kit, if expensive they usually swipe you credit card. I was interested in a new DAC and Keith - Purite just fired one up to me to try no probs no cash up front even.

I happen to have both at home. They were both plugged into an Audio Note Oto PP.
At around 12W, both speakers were delivering very comfortable listening levels for rock and other type of amplified music.
I would say the bass on the Comete is more to my liking so is the naturalness of the tones, but the clarity and dynamics are just so entertaining on the Klipsch.
Soon, I will have some solid state pure Class A 150W monster, so I believe presentation will change quite a bit. But overall, these 2 speakers are great for a small to medium size room. And they are easy to drive, so should mate with many different amplifiers. You can always play with positioning to increase or decrease bass response. Obviously I am biased, but they both have very endearing qualities.
I understand this is not tremendously helping...

I happen to have both at home. They were both plugged into an Audio Note Oto PP.
At around 12W, both speakers were delivering very comfortable listening levels for rock and other type of amplified music.
I would say the bass on the Comete is more to my liking so is the naturalness of the tones, but the clarity and dynamics are just so entertaining on the Klipsch.
Soon, I will have some solid state pure Class A 150W monster, so I believe presentation will change quite a bit. But overall, these 2 speakers are great for a small to medium size room. And they are easy to drive, so should mate with many different amplifiers. You can always play with positioning to increase or decrease bass response. Obviously I am biased, but they both have very endearing qualities.
I understand this is not tremendously helping...

Goodness that is so good to hear yet so unhelpful :). Naturalness vs entertainment - hmmm, I am still stuck. Maybe I should commit heresy and just buy the ones I like the look of most?

Goodness that is so good to hear yet so unhelpful :). Naturalness vs entertainment - hmmm, I am still stuck. Maybe I should commit heresy and just buy the ones I like the look of most?

I thought that Heresy was a Klipsch? (So to speak).

Presumably from their Spanish Inquisition range.

It wouldn't be the worst ever move, or atypical. You can then persuade yourself and others that what you bought is the best available, no question. Just like I spent about 5 years telling myself that a Rega 2 sounded better than a Denon CD player. It did, when I sold it and put the money towards a Linn LP12.

Klipsch are usually often available on the second hand market.
Triangle stuff not so.
But, yes why not, choose the one you like most... that kind of make sense.

advertisement

Back