advertisement

Should I go active?

rbrown

I think therefore I think I am
Hello everyone,

Lots of talk on here recently about active studio monitors has set me thinking. Currently I have most of my music on Mac Mini. The rest of the system is a Lavry DA10 Dac, Naim 52/Scap/250 and Wilson Benesch Arcs.

I am considering selling the 250 and Arcs which together should get me somewhere close to 2K, so if I did this, what is on the market for this kind of money and do reckon the benefits would make it worthwhile?

I want to go about this in a cash neutral kind of way, but as I live in Devon there is nowhere nearby that sells the kind of thing I would be interested in auditioning. I'm happy to buy either new or s/h and am thinking along the lines of Adam, ATC or anything else that is worth considering.

Thanks in anticipation,

Rich

Ah that's interesting. Honiton is within easy reach - thanks.

Time for some fancy Googling!

R

Not sure I have the ability to make anything better than I have now. Have you gone down this route?

R

That sounds drastic Spacey - don't you reckon a 52 is up to feeding a pair of active monitors?

Excellent, but for me that would involve buying another Naim amp, a Behringer and some speakers of similar capabablity to my Arcs, while fulfilling my need for this change to be cash neutral. I'm beginning to think my idea isn't really a goer!

Rich

That sounds drastic Spacey - don't you reckon a 52 is up to feeding a pair of active monitors?

It would yes. But if you sold it and assuming all is mint and serviced you could make:

DA10 £400-500
NAC52 £1700-2000
NAP250 £500-700
SCAP -£1500+ when you say 'Scap' I'm thinking supercap?
WB Arcs £1200-1600

You could recoup nearly £6K and buy a DAC/Pre and some SCM50ASL's. There were a pair of SCM100ASL in the trade section that sold for as little as £3.5K recently.

Why do you need it? The Lavry has balanced outs and a volume control. It is designed and intended to drive active speakers. All you need. Active ATCs would be much closer with the extra cash from the 52. Checkout New ATC prices at www.proaudioeurope.com - they do good deals if you phone them and have speakers for home trial. The 16s, 20s and even maybe 25s would be within your reach.

Yes may well do this. I have a day off on Friday and Gloucester isn't too much of a drive. I'll give them a ring tomorrow. Will also try Quested in Honiton - what I've read so far looks very encouraging.

Thanks,

Rich

Thanks Andy and Spacey, these both look like great suggestions - must admit I hadn't considered anything that radical. Now I just need to hear it.

Rich

May I ask where in London area best dealer demo options for listening to active 50 or 25 ?

Will any Adam or other brands be close ATC in performance say if you don't have the cash ?

I think brands you won't regret having a look at are:-

ATC if you have the space , SCM 50ASL or 100ASL though 2k is probably pushing your luck

Adam audio

Genelec 1030a's with 7060b sub (or newer alternative)

Genelec and Adam look a bit industrial though.

May I ask where in London area best dealer demo options for listening to active 50 or 25 ?

Will any Adam or other brands be close ATC in performance say if you don't have the cash ?

Simple answer = not really.

But try things like Event Opals, Genelecs, H&K etc. DV24/7 in Acton have a really good selection and will allow you nice long dem. Or Funkyjunk in North London.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions -very, very helpful as ever. I have a lot to think about. God I love this place!

Rich

If you have a big room there was a pair of ATC 150's for sale on eBay (hifitradingstation) for £6200! 4 years old in cherry. I can post the details if you are interested.

advertisement

Back