advertisement

Shipping household goods from italy

stevec67

pfm Member
My parents are moving out of a place in Italy, they have a couple of boxes of things like plates that they want to keep. Plan A is to box it as hold luggage which is a chore. They claim that it costs hundreds to ship it, I can't see it. I propose shopping a pallet via groupage, which is cheap, or sharing a removals van as I've done previously. Any fishes got any tips? Scalea, Calabria, to York, UK.

I have just organised import of some books from RSA and the problem was weight, and that will be worse for ceramics. The books cost about £15 per kg air-freight, after the sender shopped around a lot.
Surface shipping will always be cheapest, but how to organise that within Europe and get whole cockery delivered????? (RSA no longer has a functioning PO, so that was not an option.)

So, their "hudreds" sounds right if it is more than just a very few plates.

If they have a car out there, or can take one, and make a very leasurely trip each way, that would be the way to go.

I moved to Italy from the UK 12 years ago. Used UPS via a reseller. www.parcel2go.com £30ish a box iirc. Worked great. Plenty of glass and crockery - just wrap it well and don’t use huge boxes, you want something that’s an easy lift for the courier and you. Going the other way I’ve used www.spedire.com with success. It looks like UPS themselves offer good rates direct.

And there’s many other courier websites that act as front ends for UPS/Fedex/TNT.

One or two large "trolley" suitcases and pay for excess luggage? Would depend on if they are physically able to move the things around at each end.

Do not forget the bonus of Brexit Paperwork & HMRC

Personally, I would be doing a lot of checking, as you may require paperwork stating how old and when purchased.
And in some cases receipts, it a minefield, I get most of my info for France from an expat forum. Some very clever people out there who will have done just what the OP is trying to do

One or two large "trolley" suitcases and pay for excess luggage? Would depend on if they are physically able to move the things around at each end.
This is pretty much what we did when we moved back to the UK from Japan. Went through customs with nothing to declare. Happy (pre-Brexit) days.

Though we only brought back pretty small amount of stuff - most stuff we flogged or gave away to other ex-pats as it wasn't worth the expense/hassle.

Only thing I regret not keeping is the collection of Godzilla toys.

I did ship back a pair of speakers and about ten boxes of records using a freight company. It cost a few hundred quid and took forever.

Honestly I think I'd be thinking really seriously about whether some plates and stuff are worth the bother.

My parents are moving out of a place in Italy, they have a couple of boxes of things like plates that they want to keep. Plan A is to box it as hold luggage which is a chore. They claim that it costs hundreds to ship it, I can't see it. I propose shopping a pallet via groupage, which is cheap, or sharing a removals van as I've done previously. Any fishes got any tips? Scalea, Calabria, to York, UK.

The weight will be crucial, i think you can still do BA back from Catania. 64kg hold luggage each plus a small cabin bag.

Flights probably over £200 now though.

The weight will be crucial, i think you can still do BA back from Catania. 64kg hold luggage each plus a small cabin bag.

Flights probably over £200 now though.
Too expensive, I can do Jet 2 out of Naples for £150 one way and 25kg. I can't carry any more, and that would probably suffice.

Too expensive, I can do Jet 2 out of Naples for £150 one way and 25kg. I can't carry any more, and that would probably suffice.

When you said pallet i immediately thought you'd be looking at a heavy load, no idea why anyone would need 64kg baggage allowance though!

I'm actually going out there next week, I think I can add a hold bag for a modest fee, that might go some way to fixing it. It's only a few selected items of sentimental value.

advertisement

Back