advertisement

Shelves and plasterboard

Nero

Re: Tired
I rather optimistically used some of these to fix some shelves to a plasterboard wall.
Obviously my books were too heavy, so now I have some slightly oversized holes in the wall. What do the esteemed PFM DIY massive think I should try next?
These?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
but then I end up with the shelves where I don't want them, but otherwise a good plan

These look good. I have some but the problem is that the length required has to be the length of the butterfly when folded, plus the thickness of the plasterboard, plus the thickness of the thing you want to fix, otherwise they don't go in far enough to spring the butterfly

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
but then I end up with the shelves where I don't want them, but otherwise a good plan

Studs are normally 14" apart. How wide are these shelves??? Or are you saying you are screwing those in just at each end of the shelves & the ends don't fall on studs? In which case, put up a baton, say 2" wide x 1/2" thick, the length of your shelf. Attach that to the studs, then attach your shelf to it.

Post some pics. That would help.

The shelves are 120cm long with IKEA brackets. I positioned them at 25% and 75% length, on the basis that if evenly loaded, the shelf was less likely to sag.
The position on the wall was more aesthetic than anything else, to follow the roof line.
I might have to rethink
Let's see if I can get these pictures to work

75Gr96tc

Eam3IS74

and yes, I know it's probably only a matter of time before the rest comes down :)

PS : Doesn't the message editor read EXIF data? Sorry if you've cricked your neck

Fischer Fixings are probably the place to ask in the UK.

(not long ago I had some issues fixing medical cabs (healthcare scheme) as a late change where the drywall hadn't been designed to take any - no internal patresses etc - and using one of their not-very-expensive solid toggles got some pull-put tests done: four point-fixes into 15mm knauf impact board, 115kg of sandbags in the cabinet, cabinet and wall lining still in place - good enough!)

PS already suggested - add some battens. If you can stand or find a batten to match that bracket finish, putting a 600mm batten vertically into the p'board and screwing the bracket to the batten (say, in such a way the batten is half-hidden by the books) will massively increase the load the shelf will take: you can find space for three vertical fixes into the plasterboard, and this shelf's design issue is the cantilever vs the rather short distance between bracket fixings, the top one of which 'sees' a large pull-out load. Plasterboard is fine in shear loading, rubbish in tension/compresion through the face.

probably a good call. They do the butterfly ones here and I think Screwfix do them, so I'll wander down in the morning. The clever bit is that there's a thin plastic string that holds the butterfly in place so you don't need a super long screw

Good PS. I did wonder about the length of the brackets. Adding a batten, so I can get another hole above the shelf would work I think

Is it a brick wall behind? I went for some 6 inch fixings that expanded in the blockwork.(can't remember exactly which but available in all the usual places)

probably a good call. They do the butterfly ones here and I think Screwfix do them, so I'll wander down in the morning. The clever bit is that there's a thin plastic string that holds the butterfly in place so you don't need a super long screw

These butterfly ones above are very good, what about adhesive such as no nails?

Is it a brick wall behind? I went for some 6 inch fixings that expanded in the blockwork.(can't remember exactly which but available in all the usual places)

No, this is my man cave above the garage - timber-framed throughout.

Think I'll go with the butterfly thingies and some extra battens. I can't imagine No Nails will be enough, but I might add some on top of the fixings, just for luck. Will report back

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Cheers
John

Unless it's doubled plasterboard I think you're going to run into difficulties no matter what. In the end the plasterboard, if only 1cm thick, will probably crack (speaking from experience:eek:)

yes agreed . I do use solvent gripfill as well as fixings on plasterboard to good effect. I just use the plastic plaster board fixings

I prefer to run timber up from the floor if there is any weight needed

No Nails won't do it unless you can get a massive surface area. What you need to do is find your way to something solid, either the wooden framing behind the stud or a solid wall (that you don't have). The butterfly fastenings are OK for light loads, I'm amazed the ones described by Martin withstood the loads that he describes. As he says though, your design puts a lateral pull on the fastening and not a shear, and they aren't strong in that axis.

When you do find a fastening, be careful not to overload the shelves. It's not unknown to pull the boards down, esp if some cheapjack builder has just dot and dabbed a bit of no nails on the studs instead of screwing, all to save 5 minutes.

you are absolutely right but I find the solvented gripfill better and faster gripping than the no more nails type . used rather a lot of it recently in a house renovation !!

When you do find a fastening, be careful not to overload the shelves. It's not unknown to pull the boards down, esp if some cheapjack builder has just dot and dabbed a bit of no nails on the studs instead of screwing, all to save 5 minutes.

Excellent point.
The load situation I described had the boards screwed to 70 x 0.7mm thk galv studs at 200mm c/c max

Seen these in Screwfix and Wickes but haven't tried them

http://www.applegate.co.uk/b2b-prod...direct-ltd/grip-it-type-16/9865J-2563572.html

Trouble with living in a new build everything is dot and dab so probably tried just about everything.

Spring loaded toggles are the best for load bearing, anything else will be ok for light to medium loads and these buggers are the best for mounting plasma tv brackets through plasterboard to thermalite blocks

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00D98OAOW/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

The previous owners of my house used the same as scolarest put in the post above. When I viewed the house before buying there was quite some load on the shelves, and even a hammock with the same fastenings. So they seem to be able to take some serious weight even when just in the plasterboard and not the stud.

One word of warning, should you ever need to remove them then you end up with very large holes in the wall!

advertisement

Back