advertisement

Shed musings

garyi

leave blank
I have an dunster cabin shed thingy, its been lovely. I have managed to blag some bits from next door windows etc with a view to extending it out a bit. The roof and windows and door are sorted. But I need to sort out the cladding.

I have spotted some composite boards, but its not cladding persay, no tongue in groove or anything. Also I would like them to run floor to ceiling to be a counter point to the shed boards.

Therefore I am guessing I would need a backing board of something like OSB and protective material to prevent water ingress.

And advice on this?

(Per se). Having had two medium-sized sheds made some years ago after the shiplap one we inherited rotted away, I'd not recommend any composite (and they often form floors or inner insulating cladding)). I'd imagine you'd want to add a similar wooden structure for aesthetic reasons and you can't beat wood which is infinitely treatable.

Well actually I want a counter point to the shed I don’t want to match it as that will not be possible and nearly matched will look awful.

Why not composite?

What sort of composite?

All the sheets we use are foam clad Aluminium so very weatherproof if you seal the joints.

On the other hand i have one indoor roof clad in composite of PB and foam; not weatherproof!

It’s planks of sort of wood looking stuff I would guess it’s made from old plastic bottles or something

OSB isn't as water resistant as you might like. I'd use timber, make a frame and attach your plastic wood to that.

Well yes that’s the plan, perhaps with a water resistant covering in between.
I wouldn't bother with the waterproof covering. Just ensure ventilation inside. The cladding will keep the rain off, so the inside will be dry enough.

advertisement

Back