advertisement

Sharon Jones and The Dap-Kings

abbydog

pfm Member
Any fans here? Give The People What They Want was waiting for me when I got home today. On the back it says Recorded to 8-Tracks, and the tape ops get credits. Right, off to spin it again...

Love the band esp the horn section. Amy Winehouse used them on her second album. Sharon Jones is getting over her cancer scare and preparing to go on tour again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonderful - all their vids have a nice warm feeling around them which I really like. Discovered them after a reference to them being a sort of US equivalent of Toe Rag Studios several years ago - would be around the time of Elephant I guess.

The new album is great - easily up to 100 Days, 100 Nights.

You can find out what the fine critic, Richard Williams, thinks about Sharon Jones and The Dap-Kings here.

Here are some of his thoughts:

"I’ve been listening to Give the People What They Want, the new album from Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings. There’s so much to like about it. As usual, Sharon proves herself to be an outstanding soul singer, worthy of consideration alongside the likes of Betty Wright, Jean Knight and Ann Peebles. The musicians are terrific: they and their producers demonstrate a perfect understanding of the relevant styles and textures of the late 1960s and early ’70s. The singer and her band are so good at what they do that you never even stop to think that you’re listening to a recreation.

"Only in one area can it be said that they fail to do themselves justice, and unfortunately it’s an important one: the songwriting. Once again all their material comes from inside the collective, mostly from the pens of bassist Bosco Mann, drummer Homer Steinweiss and saxophonist Cochemea Gastelum. Idiomatically speaking, it’s all fine. The funky swing of “We Get Along”, by Steinweiss and guitarist Joseph Crispiano, the walking bass line and great horn chart of Steinweiss’s “Now I See”, punctuated by tympani, and the sweet uptown soul of Mann’s “Making Up and Breaking Up” are extremely pleasant to the ear, but none of them contains the sort of hook, were these songs released as A-sides, that would make you put the needle back to the beginning over and over again until the whole thing had burned itself into your brain.

"For me, the closest they got to that was in 2007 with “Tell Me”, a track written by guitarist Neil Sugarman for their third album, 100 Days 100 Nights. Now that had everything: not just a groove that grabs you and won’t let go, the smeary horns, the great lead vocal and the essential Northern Soul ingredient of vibes like broken milk-bottles, but a chorus that sticks to the ribs. I wish they had a few more of those."

I'm a newcomer to Sharon Jones and The Dap-Kings and will have to investigate some more.

Jack

Well, I think its great that people are still making and recording this stuff and if you want to support that you buy the record. How many songs has Williams written?

Just played the album and its a standout, the choir and the songs are really good. The best yet from SJ and the DKs and sets a high standard for the new year.

I really like the way they record.

151213d1262629336-just-8-tracks-1-tape-you-brave-enough-daptone-daptone_tapeboard.jpg

yes. that is only 8 tracks. and drums only have one. how cool.

This will put a smile on anyone's coupon, great stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

advertisement

Back