advertisement

Shane MacGowan (The Pogues) RIP

and total nutter, damaged, drunk and dangerous
but magnificent. I rate the Pogues as one of those moments the world shifts sideways a bit.
Of course he died young. Daft bugger.
not sure he was a nutter or dangerous, only to himself perhaps.
he died young as the only option other than ending up on here, 'hope I die before I get old', rings true as it did with others, and many more will follow. it may be us who are mad wanting to go on and on...........................................

PS: above does not apply to me, but I do get it

He was certainly a singular talent & an exceptional song wittier. RIP.

I always have mixed feelings about people seemingly bent on destruction, they usually get their way & it doesn’t end well. It was always his horrible teeth that threw me.

“I’m not singing for the future/ I’m not dreaming of the past/ I’m not talking of the first time/ I never think about the last.”
RIP Shane

Sad but not unexpected I suppose.

Defined my later teenage years. Remember my very first day at Uni, bunking off early to go see them at the Top Rank in Brighton. Bumped into Spider in the loos, him wearing that long silver coat they all had back then. As I recall they always had a 'no jeans' policy, so was suits all round. And that video of Waxie's Dargle on the Tube, in what, 1984? Just amazing. Hammy Palais St Patrick's Day '86 was just epic, what a mosh pit. Memories... RIP a true genius... while the wind was gently laughing.

And that interview with SM where he's berating world musicians from back in Pogues days. "All these people playing world music, African music, nearest they'd ever been to Africa was Notting Hill Gate!"

He had viral encephalitis, the drink and drugs couldn't get him ;)

Always loved this, his strongest vocal performance of all perhaps? The quality of his voice always showed up in the slower numbers I thought, this, Auld Triangle and Kitty being oh so wonderful examples.

I was at school with him in the "Home Counties" when he was a shy goofy kid with sticky out big ears and a strong Irish accent. Poor chap wouldn't know which direction to kick a football if he was forced to play games (much to our amusement of course!) but brilliant at English (writing) - way ahead of the rest of us. A poet in the making. RIP.

1228.jpg

Andrew Calvert’s picture of Shane MacGowan taken at the Cambridge pub, Cambridge Circus, central London. Photograph: Guardian Community

Just listening to The Pogues now, I think they were often quite difficult to pin down with a very variable output. However, the lyrics always stood out & they sounded like no one else.

I’ve listened to nothing else these last few days. And his songs are ringing around my head. Watch the documentary Crock Of Gold if you can.

advertisement

Back