advertisement

Shahinian Compass speakers

I think a set of Ruark Crusaders is possibly a better target. I do like the look of them (and they’re younger than Ruarks but I don’t know. Most people seem to swap upwards to larger Shahinians?

I had a set which I ran with Naim 272/250 DR. They are a neat solution as they aren’t too fussy about positioning in my experience. I also had and preferred the bigger( but squatter - ie less tall but wider) Arcs - which have a rear facing bass radiator speaker.
I moved both of these sets on as they didn’t suit my room after a house move - but both types are really well made speakers.

There many debates and assertions as to amp suitability - some say unregulated amps like the Naim 180 suit the Arcs better. I had a 180 but felt that the 250 was an improvement.

By the way there was a mark 1 and mark 2 Compass. Looking at the pictures I think these are mark 2. The expert on these is the chap who runs Pear Audio who is the U.K. distributor- I guess you could contact him to clarify the age and amp suitability.

I don’t know the Ruarks so couldn’t comment on them in comparative terms.

I suspect a Quad 606 probably isn’t the very best for these albeit a great amp itself.

advertisement

Back