advertisement

Shahinian Arc - New power Amp ?

I use a pair of Croft 7r Monoblocks with my Obelisks so they should work well with Arcs too.

I came about using the Crofts after talking to Peter Mezek at Pear Audio in Slovenia
about all things Bedini. (Hopefully I'll get to pop out and see him in the spring)

Anyway the Crofts are doing things to the obelisks that i havent heard before so I'm a happy camper but one day I'd like to get my hands on a Bedini and see what it sounds like.
Paul

You may wish to future proof as the Obelisks may call........

Obelisks are a much more difficult load to drive and to get the most you'll need summat like the HX 1.2/100, Bryston, Krell, Passlabs etc or in my case a real find the Meridian 559.

FWIW I had a pair of 135s and then got them Avondaled to stage 3 (that cost £850!) but Obs are a difficult load that really came alive with the 559. Quite cheap to for what is two mono blocks in a single 42Kg package. You'll pay around £1400-1600 for one so just compare that price against the other amps. Naim use one pair of trannies in the output stage whilst the 559 uses 20 pairs that can sink 150A into 1 Ohm.

In case you missed it I have two 559s each set to bridged mode.

When I had my first 559 the thing that immediately struck me were the timbre of acoustic instrument that are so real. The tinkling of a tiny bell sparkled and with strings you can smell the rosin on the bows. As for bass even at low volumes deep organ notes vibrate through the concrete foundations and yer bones!

Cheers,

DV

DV

did you ever try the Meridian 557 with Obelisks? They seem to come up for sale more frequently at more affordable prices.

regards

Kevin

I tried 557 into Obelisks, a good combination but bettered by the 559 (especially bridged). The 557 is very good with Arcs

Add a Dynavector HX1.2 to the list. I use a MK1 version with Naim cds3 and 52. Outstanding combination ( so it should be at the cost - all second hand). All into WB Arcs though. I sold my Shahinian Arcs ( before I had HX1.2) years ago as I liked the WB Arcs presentation more. Fancy trying a pair of Obelisk 2s mind you but the cost is pretty eye watering.
Nothing has managed to oust the 1.2 from my main system for the last decade.

Must admit i would be tempted by dynavector hx1.2 (mbu has a similar system to mine)- looking for a power amp to gel with the 52
Im not saying that the 250 is lacking - just would like to know what the dynavector would bring to my current setup

The difficulty will be finding one - as they tend to only come up occassionally:(

What about a pair of manley snappers theres a pair on german ebay, or a belles
power amp, i did have a belles hotrod 150a for a while with arcs sounded great
with plenty of power.

Everyone keeps mentioning Dynavectors in the context of Shahinian speakers, but they just didn't do it for me - either with Arc or Obs. My L300/HX1.2 sounded so shrill I even sent them to John Burns to be checked out.

I'm currently driving my Obelisks with a solid-state McIntosh integrated, and it gives me everything that was missing with the DVs - warmth, grunt and grip.

I recall that I also quite enjoyed using a NAD S300 with Arcs a few years ago.

Interestingly Shahinian have recently updated their advice regarding suitable amps (etc):

shahinianacoustics.com said:
Electronics

Contrary to some feedback we have received, our loudspeakers have never been designed to work with only one kind of electronics; however, our preference in electronics has always been solid state, even though tubes can work well if done properly.

Since our loudspeakers are distributed in many countries having varied voltage standards, we recommend you rely on your dealer for the best choice of equipment. This is the reason we have partnered with the best distributors and dealers world wide. They are best equipped to advise you when adding new gear based on existing equipment, room acoustics, loudspeaker choice, etc.
source

Istr previously the best little speaker company in the world opined Dynavector, Bedini & Creek to be worth investigation.
Fwiw I find Naim a good match.

Update

Im sending my 250 to have ncc200 boards fitted (dont know what to expect with this - but reviews are positive)

Listened to my sys last night and i still love what Naim does

Many Thanx for the replies

LT!! What are you doing?

Just buy the DIY ones from the classifieds first - if you like that then get the NCC200s fitted. Once your NAP has been modded it won't be a cost neutral option to go back... will it?

Or just sell the NAP250 and get a pair of M130s. Don't kill a perfectly decent NAP250 - Sell it! and if you must have matching cases then use a 180.

I'm quite sure a pair of Albarry M608's will drive your speakers perfectly and will do so for years (as you mentioned mono-blocs)

regards Al

renderSign3.php

Update
After a bit of auditioning /chopping / changing - i finally got to hear the Hx1.2
So how does it compare with my 250 ?- It does sound a lot different and i had concerns because i do like Naims PRAT .

Initial impressions are the HX has real presence , it takes complete control of the Arcs and has an uncanny 3D effect. It delivers a dynamic ,rich sound (not clinical ) but retains the naims "warmth" with the Bass reaching greater depths. I can drive the Arcs to new levels of loudness whilst retaining the texture and timing

Wonderful Power Amplification and yes it does Gel very well with a 52:D

Now i finally see why so many Shahinian users opt for DV - Match made in Heaven

Thanks for all your inputs (especially fellow Pfm Lambros,Lotus340r,mbu, d m butcher - and Centralaudio for selling me it )

A few years ago i would have not heard half the hifi manufactures mentioned , auditioned and debated on this forum

Cheers guys

Update
After a bit of auditioning /chopping / changing - i finally got to hear the Hx1.2
So how does it compare with my 250 ?- It does sound a lot different and i had concerns because i do like Naims PRAT .
Cheers guys

So what are your thoughts about the Dynavectors PRAT compared to Naim?

Depending on money I would really recommend something NCC200 based.

I've now got Rana's old Bedini driving my Obs and it is fantastic. I simply can't believe that nobody on here wanted it at £500!

It all depends what you want more of I suppose

I've managed to land some mint 2002 Arcs and am rueing selling the Bedini now!

advertisement

Back