advertisement

Shahinian Arc Mid-range Crisis

The 34mm Audax units are still available, the latest version with separate coil/dome assembly is known as the TW034X0, flange diameter 132.

An excellent driver.

Chances are the original was just suffering from a broken lead-out wire which is a relatively easy fix.

I see on ebay that I could get replacement coils... £24 each plus customs tax from the USA
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=370904874457

But then, hp1 has offered to repair for a similar sum, so might just do that! Thanks.

It makes a huge difference compared with £110 that I think the first unit cost me from Shahinian. FWIW I found John Burns very helpful too. The idea that someone would bin a pair of Arcs rather than re-ring the radiators for a few quid is a scandal, but if you don't know about that or how to...:(

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Ive got a pair of 1993 arcs which are in great condition, they sound great, but
after seeing a picture on this site of the insides, there made of wood chip and very
cheap build, the seas bass driver is cheap £99 and im sure all the other drivers are cheap, but there charging £4500 type money its all profit, even the caps are solen cheap again, even more profit. then I heard a pair of tdl studio monitor and wow full scale weight annalouge sounding dynamic unfatigning
basically fantastic but they don't come up for sale. so I decided to build some, we
shall see.

Arc of a driver:

Seas P21 REX US$56

LPG 26T US$39

LPG neo US$35

ABR say $30

Total US$160 per cabinet

And those are 2003 prices, retail.

Arc of a driver:

Seas P21 REX US$56

LPG 26T US$39

LPG neo US$35

ABR say $30

Total US$160 per cabinet

And those are 2003 prices, retail.

So?

What about R+D, cabinets, labour, shipping, heating, lighting etc

If it hurts, build your own speakers then sell me them for the price of the drivers in 2003.

:D

Pete

I don't give a shit. The point is that the drivers are cheaper even than ocean indicated, and the retail pricing for Shahinians is ludicrous for a speaker comprising inexpensive drivers in a simple plywood box.

Yes, they work, but material value just ain't there.

There are speakers that justify their cost in terms of driver quality and/or cabinet construction.

Thiels are a good example.

For something closer to home, have a look at the Ruark Crusader.

The Mission 753 was an awful lot of speaker for the money.

When I posted this originally, I did not put together the words 'can' 'open' 'a' and 'worms' or 'of'.
The original 1993 units look like modded Audax units that retail (not trade) at £60-£72 max.
But having worked in the trade many moons ago there is the issue of buying and holding stock, kitting out and staffing a comfy showroom and demo facility, with coffee and nice decor etc. It does add up and at low volumes then you need a higher mark up at the retail end. I am no apologist. I have to pay street price now and it hurts. But I do understand. Most of the blokes I used to work with 30 yrs ago were enthusiasts who earned feck-all and that feck-all they spent on discounted kit and beer and records. FWIW. The owner made a few bucks to run his Porche. Crap one tho'...:p

Does anybody know maybe the exact model of the midrange with the metal (aluminium/titanium) 1.5 inch (38 mm) dome and the square faceplate? it has ferrofluid cooling. Or a suitable replacement?

I just know it's not an LPG model as previously suggested. the LPG is not available anymore, anyway.
from behind it looks more like an audax, but they have the soft dome.
the magnet is flat as the audax, the connectors look different.

advertisement

Back