advertisement

Sgt Beharry VC

naimplayer

Aspiring to be a halfwit.
It was gratifying to see that Sgt Beharry VC remains in the British Army. A lovely shot of Prince Harry greeting the great and the good from the Bus at Buckingham Palace. One has to wonder how Harry ( Prince, hero) felt shaking the hand of Beharry ( Hero ). One Soldier to another, kindred spirits.
One person shone with pride and that was the Hero with the Victoria Cross.
Read his citation. I don't have a link but I'm sure that nice Mr Google will assist.
I just take my hat off to him and feel very humble. Could I have done what he did? No. I wonder if you could or would?

It is bloody impressive, and training people to think rationally and act decisively when they are justifiably afraid is what the Army do well. That he got it right under absolutely life threatening circumstances is a credit to him, though he was helped no doubt by the knowledge "if we stay here we're dead" so it becomes a no-choice choice. Just as impressive for me is that even when he arrived back at base, wounded, he got out of the vehicle and started putting the fire out, and only stopped when he collapsed. VC well earned and credit also to the Army for not discharging him for head injuries, as is policy (AIUI).

advertisement

Back