advertisement

Settings for a Dynavector XV1s

Rcottin

Does anyone have a good loading setting for a Dynavector XV1s. I installed it as part of my LP12 system (new LP12, Ekos SE, Keel, Radikal, Uphorik) and the Uphorik provides many possible combinations.

Does anyone have a good loading setting for a Dynavector XV1s. I installed it as part of my LP12 system (new LP12, Ekos SE, Keel, Radikal, Uphorik) and the Uphorik provides many possible combinations.

I run mine into 600 Ohms with excellent results. I read somewhere that 200 Ohms is ideal but provided that you go no lower than 100 all should be fine.

What the load resistance does is to prevent any HF 'lift' as some carts peak in the HF region. The result of too high a resistance will be to lend more 'air' or with lesser carts finger scraping harshness.

You can have a play choose 580 Ohms and see what it does for you. If you feel that there is too much 'air' or screech then lower the resistance until you are happy.

Cheers,

DV

PS I have just done the calculations and if you use the 470pf setting then the optimal loading is 200 Ohms.

Thank you DV. Will try that. I currently have the capacitance setting at 1nf. Will try 47pf which is the next lower option the Uphorik provides
KR
RCottin

Thank you DV. Will try that. I currently have the capacitance setting at 1nf. Will try 47pf which is the next lower option the Uphorik provides
KR
RCottin

The two settings that are optimal for you are 470pf with 200 Ohms or 1000pf with 100 Ohms.

Mine works at 600 Ohms as (I think) the input capacitance is 50pf.

Cheers,

DV

Currently I have 1nf and 100r which is the most consistently used setting I have found. However I find it sounds a bit thin. Maybe because the cart is new (about 10 hours). Will try your advise and go with 470pf but the Uphorik does not provide a 200r setting. After 100r it provides 170r and then jumps to 560r and higher

Mine did continue to improve with running in. However if it sounds 'thin' it may be for other reasons or maybe you have got used to a different sound.

I go to a lot of live music events and I like to compare the sound of acoustic instruments and voices as these haven't been through PA equipment. The sound is so real its scary! Another thing I have noticed is that the bass is so controlled that if there is only a little bit that is all you will hear and not some artificial resonance.

Cheers,

DV

My point of reference is the Linn Akiva. It has about 100 hours of use. The Akiva has the advantage of being part of a Linn turntable/phono pre system there is very little guessing to do for its settings.

The Akiva sounds really good in this system. the Linn recommended settings for the Uphorik with the Akiva are 470pf and 42r. The results are really good however I found it confusing that the Linn Linto (Linn previous phono pre) did not have user adjustable loading settings and it was fixed at 150r. The Akiva was designed during the Linto days so I would have assumed it was made to work with this settings
KR
RCottin

Have I missed something here...surely the manufacturer suggestions are just that..... suggestions. The actual settings will depend on a variety of factors; I have six switchable loadings on my Step-up, and my Koetsu sounds at its best on different settings with different music. I rather think Dynavectors and Koetsus are close cousins, so I would expect similar results with the Dynavector. Or, to put it another way, whatever floats your boat.There is no 'correct' loading. Just to complicate matters, with valve stages the 47K loading is often just fine.

You are right. After a lot of research on this issue the only clear conclusion is that the settings are very system dependant and also a bit of a compromise of what works better for different kind of music. I will keep trying different settings until I find one that makes me listen tomthe music and stop thinking about the settings. I guess that will be the right one
KR

RCottiin

If it sounds thin, try increasing the capacitance. Worked a treat with my OC9II.

Increasing capacitance generally dulls the sound; okay fror a brash cart., but a thin-sounding one............? Mind you, it suppresses RFI, which is a blessing sometimes.

Indeed. I reduced capacitance back to 470pf (minimun in the Uphorik) and solved half of the problem. Then tried different load settings and currently like 580r. Definitely not thin anymore

I would put the settings on your euphoric in the middle of there adjustment range and play another 90 hours of music through your loverly new xv1s then have a look into fine tuning it.
When its run in it will be a big step up from the akiva.

Indeed. I reduced capacitance back to 470pf (minimun in the Uphorik) and solved half of the problem. Then tried different load settings and currently like 580r. Definitely not thin anymore

I'd suggest you talk to the horse's mouth. Contact John Burns at Pear Audio. He's the Dynavector man in the UK and was recommended by Dynavector head office when I had a P75 question. He's very helpful.

That is a good idea. Will contact him. Meaningwhile the best compromise is around 100r and leave it there while break in

advertisement

Back