advertisement

Setting Up And Placement Of Harbeth SHL5 & C7ES3

ryder

pfm Member
Since there are quite a few Harbeth owners here, I would like to do a survey on the setting up of SHL5 and/or C7ES3 speakers to see how other systems compare to mine.

My system has certainly evolved throughout the two years of ownership of the Harbeth SHL5. Throughout this period I must have moved them close to 200 times now apart from equipment upgrades and tweaks. Just earlier this week I've settled with a new placement(again) which I thought was better than the previous one -a more holographic and free-flowing sound with wider soundstage. I wager I have reached a point where I won't be getting any massive or worthwhile improvements anymore with further tweaks and optimisation unless I look at the equipment, which again suggests point of diminishing returns.

The setting up of loudspeakers is predominantly determined by the size of the room among other things. The current configuration of the SHL5s in my room is as follows:-

Room = Dedicated 11.3' x 17' (3.5 m x 5.2 m)

Distance between speakers (measured from centre point of speakers) = 7' 5" (2.26 m)

Distance from front wall (measured from wall to back of speakers) = 5' 10" (1.78 m)

Distance from side wall = 250 - 380 mm (variance indicates degree of toe-in)

Listening distance from speakers (measured from front baffle to ears) = 8' (2.4 m)

I am curious to know how other owners have set up their Harbeth speakers and would appreciate some feedback on this thread. Thanks.

I have a smaller dedicated room dimension measuring 11.3' x 13.3' x 8'5".
Harbeth model is C7ES3 powered by Naim electronics. Listen with grilles off.

Measuring using front tweeter point:-

Distance between speakers = 6'5"

Distance from front wall = 2'9"

Distance from side wall = 2'4"

Listening distance = 8'3"

Both speakers are with grilles off when listening and toe-in towards a foot away from shoulders at seating position.

Anyone else? please do not hesitate do share here. Thank you.

es2mue.gif

If A and B are the diagonals across the room, starting speaker placement (for free-standing speakers) would be A/3 and B/3. Play with toe-in to suit. Depending on the room, you may prefer a wider or narrower stance, but it's a place to start.

Please pardon the quickie Windows Paint drawring.

C7es3,

Just over 7 feet apart
Just over half a metre from side walls.
about a metre out from the rear wall
just over 7 feet to ears

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62304238@N02/5672081916/

Hi ampman,

YOu've got a very nice set-up in the listening room. May I know is that McIntosh amp that is using to drive the C7ES3?

I would suggest to pull the speakers closer since the right speaker is closer to side wall and also near to front corner. Don't you feel a little bass heavy in front right? It seems you are putting them off axis and crossing a fraction in front of your listening position.

Just my 2cents thought. Thanks for sharing.

Hi ampman,

YOu've got a very nice set-up in the listening room. May I know is that McIntosh amp that is using to drive the C7ES3?

I would suggest to pull the speakers closer since the right speaker is closer to side wall and also near to front corner. Don't you feel a little bass heavy in front right? It seems you are putting them off axis and crossing a fraction in front of your listening position.

Just my 2cents thought. Thanks for sharing.

Mikapoh,

It's a Luxman - 505u.

Thanks for the thoughts. I've tried moving around and where it is seems the best to me. Actually, the curtains in the room are not central. They are to the left. It's a bit of an odd shape. The speakers often get moved around a bit, when I clean etc.

Any suggestions for improving acoustics (without buying special stuff) would also be welcome.

Rogers LS5/9 - ie Harbeth 30

Room - 14ft x 11
Distance from wall to rear speaker - 60cm
Side wall - 4 ft
Between speakers - 4ft
From front of speaker to my ears 4ft

No toe in

I'll publish my measurements later, but just to say that HEIGHT is crucial. This has been the biggest factor for me in controlling excessive bass resonance - more significant than distance from rear wall in my case. Of course very dependent on height of room, so perhaps worth mentioning that in measurements.

I'll publish my measurements later, but just to say that HEIGHT is crucial. This has been the biggest factor for me in controlling excessive bass resonance - more significant than distance from rear wall in my case. Of course very dependent on height of room, so perhaps worth mentioning that in measurements.

Yes, height can be crucial in controlling excessive bass resonance. A shorter height will most likely produce stronger bass since the speakers will be closer to the ground. That is my impression although I have not had the opportunity to try a speaker stand of different height.

Other important factors that affect bass quality are placement relative to front and side walls, and sitting position. If you find the bass resonance to be too much, try any of the following:-

1) Move speakers around or further out from front and side walls and toe them in.
2) Move your listening chair around.

Although I've not experienced other speakers stand different heights, I did encounter different bass response by just raising my listening chair a few inches!

Previously, I am raising my chair by 3-inch just to get my eyes as parallel to the 3rd quarter of my projector screen in front. In this position, my ears are in fact an inch over the Harbeth tweeter. Only recently the chair footings are on bare ground with ears a faction lower than tweeter centre, I realised the bass seems tighter and strong.

In this exercise, it shows not only moving the speakers to fine tune the bass, by adjusting the height of our chair do make a difference!

My ears are now at lower part of the tweeter.

advertisement

Back