advertisement

Setting up a system with HiFi Sounds HFS75

sprint

pfm Member
I'm using a HFS75 test record to set up my new Orbe and Micro Benz Wood SL (0.4mv o/p) and a newly refurbished SME V.

With a tracking weight anything between 1.7 and 1.9g (man rec 1.6 - 1.9g) and a similar bias setting (both tracking weight and bias have been set using the SME dial readings as I don't have a separate tracking force scale) it passes Bands A and B of the lateral and vertical modulation tests.

However, it will not pass the Band C, 300Hz lateral + 18dB ref 1.12e-3 cm peak amplitude even by increasing the tracking weight and bias setting which is disappointing?

Would one expect a SME V and Wood to pass that test or is that only reserved to the top quality cartridges?

However, when going to side 2 of the disc I have problems with the outer, mid and inner bias and tracking tests.

These are at a slight higher peak amplitude of 15dB, 300Hz lateral + 15dB ref 1.12e-3 cm peak amplitude but I immediately find that the tracking weight and bias settings for the side one tests no longer hold.

When playing theses tests I find that I am getting distortion in the right channel.

The tracking weight now really needs to be set to its max limit of 1.9g (SME scale reading) and the bias now wants a much higher setting something between 2.125 and 2.5 (SME scale readings). At these settings you can identify some distortion in the right channel when doing the outer test.

Moving to the mid test and using the same tracking weight it seems less sensitive to the bias and something between 2 and 2.125 mostly eliminates the right channel distortion.

However, when you go to the inner test it starts off free of distortion but as the track moves in so high distortion appears. The only way it will play the inner track test is to increase the tracking weight to around 2.2/2.3g and increase the bias to its max setting of 3?

Clearly I can't use these settings as they are way outside the manufactures max setting of 1.9g, unless the SME dial reading is wildly out, which I doubt it is 15/20% out?

The other concern is that I also have a test record with a blank area for crude bias setting. I know it is next to useless but what I do find is that with tracking weight at 1.9g and the bias around the 2.2 settings as soon as I lower the arm it skates immediately to the centre. Setting the bias to max reduces the speed at which it skates to the centre, but to the centre it goes? The platter top is level.

I would appreciate some comments and advice as to if the results of the tests are what you would expect taking into account the equipment used or is passing all these tests unrealistic? If so what should I expect or is there an indication that there may be a problem with the arm or cartridge?

Have answered fully on the other forum you have asked this.

But in short:

I would appreciate some comments and advice as to if the results of the tests are what you would expect taking into account the equipment used or is passing all these tests unrealistic? If so what should I expect or is there an indication that there may be a problem with the arm or cartridge?

Yes, I'm not surprised
Yes, it is
No, it doesn't

advertisement

Back