advertisement

Setting Up A CD Player With A Spirit Level?

I always think its very difficult to get any kit level, besides should it not be the actual cd that's level and not the box it's built around?
My naim fraim is dead level and so is my LP12 plinth but the arm board and platter not so level, you level one area up and another goes out of true. I don't worry too much about this now as it still plays nice sounds. We are talking very slightly off level here, I'm sure there is level and there is level.

You are correct there is only level, plumb and square. The rest is out.

If you stopped to think about this you'd realise how mental it is.

Its no more mental then some of the hi fi foo talked about. It was just a casual thought. I do accept that its not important and I dont even know if the internal mech is level with the case.

I just thought you wouldnt really want it running too many degrees off a level plane. I would have thought horizontal is better than vertical. I dont want to be loading discs vertically which is why my x box lies flat.The drive should last longer :D

Regarding CD players in cars being at a slight angle, this can be corrected by adjusting the front and rear tyre pressures - problem solved :D .

I used to own a car with a six CD changer in the boot. It also had self levelling rear suspension - I hadn`t realised the real reason for this until now...

I'm trying to level this players transport...any tips?

REDREFSILVER.jpeg

Its no more mental then some of the hi fi foo talked about. It was just a casual thought. I do accept that its not important and I dont even know if the internal mech is level with the case.

Whatever floats your boat but.....

I'd be more (pun alert) inclined to make sure the following were perfectly level first...

1. Washing Machine
2. Dishwasher
3. Tumble Drier
4. Fridge
5. Freezer

after that lot use the level to make sure the following are properly off level

Bath
Shower Tray
Central Heating Oil Tank
Draining Board

after that lot if you still feel the need - by all means have at the CD player.

When the general public hear of these types of questions being raised, its no wonder anyone who says they're a hi-fi enthusiast gets looked upon as some kind of nutter!

I'd assume if a manufacture put a suspension system in a device such as CDP as opposed to a car, he'd expect it to be level for the suspension to operate as intended. What the purpose of that suspension is and whether leveling is important could probably be best addressed with an email to the CDP manufacturer.

Mention of the washing machine above is a good point.
if the machine isn't level it tends to rattle and become noisy.

The mech in a CD player, holding a disc at the centre is also likely to work more efficiently and for longer if it's level. Not levelled to an obsessive degree but if you can avoid it being pist you clearly should.

Costs nothing, and definitely not foo.

A Turntable is levelled so why shouldnt a cd player benefit from a bit of thought.

There is little similarity between the mechanisms of a record player and a CD player.

Conventional hifi record players depend on a gravity field to operate, and are usually designed so that the platter is normal to the gravitational force direction, and arm mounting is co-linear. Tracking is achieved by the weight (gravitational effect) on the stylus holding it into the groove.

CD mechanisms are powered feedback tracking devices which maintain the read head position under positive motor force, rather than a gravitational effect.

JC

Mention of the washing machine above is a good point.
if the machine isn't level it tends to rattle and become noisy.

The mech in a CD player, holding a disc at the centre is also likely to work more efficiently and for longer if it's level. Not levelled to an obsessive degree but if you can avoid it being pist you clearly should.

Costs nothing, and definitely not foo.

Last time I looked my washing machine had a drum not wafer thin disc and rotated at 90' to the horizontal.
Does the picture from my Blu-ray player change if I tilt it 20'? err no, the servos are more than capable of maintaining efficient/correct operation-that's before we get to the gyroscopic effect....

Last edited by a moderator:
Last time I looked my washing machine had a drum not wafer thin disc and rotated at 90' to the horizontal.
Does the picture from my Blu-ray player change if I tilt it 20'? err no, the servos are more than capable of maintaining efficient/correct operation-that's before we get to the gyroscopic effect....

Ok, tip it by about 20 degrees then report how you get on with a full load and spin :D

If I load a CD into the Meridian player behind me now it spins quietly.
If I tilt the player the mech get noisier.
Does it change the audio? - probably not but it clearly works better when sitting flat.
Ditto a DVD in my laptop drive. A smooth hiss when flat, a purring sound (with obvious vibration) if tilted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, tip it by about 20 degrees then report how you get on with a full load and spin :D

If I load a CD into the Meridian player behind me now it spins quietly.
If I tilt the player the mech get noisier.
Does it change the audio? - probably not but it clearly works better when sitting flat.
Ditto a DVD in my laptop drive. A smooth hiss when flat, a purring sound (with obvious vibration) if tilted.

Perhaps some are more delicate than others, I have a Plexwriter48x external cd that will play every way except upside down.

Actually if you remove the stabilising weight you can make the washer dance around the room before it tears itself apart...

Person A asks a question.

Person B says "I don't think it'll make a difference, but it can't hurt, so fill your boots"

Person C says "I can think of at least one reason why it might be a good idea, so fill your boots"

Person D goes off on one, claiming it's all foo and madness, and person A is clearly crazy for even contemplating making such a public spectacle of himself by so much as thinking about asking such a question.

Here's another question. Which person, A, B, C, or D, is the one with the problem, do we think?

Person A asks a question.

Person B says "I don't think it'll make a difference, but it can't hurt, so fill your boots"

Person C says "I can think of at least one reason why it might be a good idea, so fill your boots"

Person D goes off on one, claiming it's all foo and madness, and person A is clearly crazy for even contemplating making such a public spectacle of himself by so much as thinking about asking such a question.

Here's another question. Which person, A, B, C, or D, is the one with the problem, do we think?

Person E for imagining anyone went off on one.

advertisement

Back