advertisement

Setting dips on a phono stage.

molee

pfm Member
Dear all, I have always been bambooozled by all the numbers asssociated with my cartridges. To add to the mess are all the numbers associated with my phonostages. Then, to completely do my head in I have to apply one set of numbers to the other in order to get the best from the cartridge/stage combo when they don't (as far as I can tell) necessarily correspond. You could say to try all the combinations till you get the sound you like best but it would take too long, I would forget which was best etc etc. It worked fine with my Dynavector cart/P75 where in Dr T mode there are only three options-I tried two and chose the one I liked.

However, I have a AT OC5 MC cart which sounds a bit glarey/boomy, the lower notes drowning out the higher ones going into a Rega Fono stage ( a different cart going into an amp's internal stage has none of these problems). I'm thinking there must be some general principles that I can follow rather than having to follow the numbers. Can anyone refer me to anywhere on the net that gives a simple overview as to what one should do sort this sort of thing out?

In case anyone has a particular view about what is going on with my OC5/Rega Fono 1 then that would be appreciated. Some of the numbers are below.
AT OC5
Output Voltage 0.4mV
Coil impedance/load resistance 12ohm
Coil inductance 50uH
Load resistance head amp 100ohm Transformer 20ohm

There are more but I don't think they are relevant but I haven't a clue really.

Thanks

advertisement

Back