advertisement

Sennheiser HD600 Cable

I found the standard HD600 cable with the 3.5mm jack very flimsy. I got through 3 of them until I noticed there's another one from Sennheiser with black plugs at the headphone end, much thicker cable and a native 1/4 jack. It's far chunkier and seems to be going the distance.

Thanks for that. Do you know what cable it is? Perhaps the HD650 cable that others have mentioned?

Because to an electron, one bit of copper wire is the same as another and they can't read the direction of writing on a cable sleeve either.

You'll fool yourself into thinking that dropping tens if not hundreds of pounds on cable that's prettier has made a difference then when you change it back you'll be too embarrassed to admit you've just wasted said money.

Spend the money...just buy more music instead......

Hmm, well I think even you would notice the difference between cheap twisted-pair and something more substantial.

There are also issues of capacitance. resistance, etc which, I expect, would most definitely make a difference to the sound.

Having said that, I do agree that there's a lot of snake oil being sold out there.

A fool and his money ...

Havent tried Cosmics stuff but looks good. However I do use this: https://forzaaudioworks.com/en/. Although I don’t know how long it would take to deliver post Brexit but I can vouch for the quality which is supurb.
I, also, would be able to attest to the physical quality of that company's custom headphones cables. There are multiple reasons for that company, and for their cables, to receive recommendations, but I believe that the quality with which they most supersede other cables is with their ergonomics. It is not unusual for even very expensive, and highly regarded, and popular, headphones cables to possess poor ergonomics. The cables that Forza AudioWorks makes, however, are legitimately flawless, in that respect, in my experience.

If you do buy a replacement cable I would be interested to know whether you can hear a difference!

I am a "believer" in the difference between cheap-as-chips and 'good' cables, but not sold on 'expensive' cables having bought and tried one in my system.

Hmm, well I think even you would notice the difference between cheap twisted-pair and something more substantial.

A friend provided a 'boutique' cable for my HD580s (and his HD650s) and we tried it out. Very pretty it was in red and black. Made no difference to sound quality but after a few minutes the extra weight, lack of flexibility made it a royal PITA.
Back it went for full refund to shop.
Headphones are an easy load, the cables aren't carrying small signals, an NE5532 can drive them easily, as can the mobile chips like the Cirrus CS4207.

Don't be taken in by 'Litz' cabling and other stuff, it just means they've learned how to braid.

advertisement

Back