advertisement

Sennheiser HD 650

Finally got some OEM ear pads for the 650s, i had some leather ones from Amazon but they were always going moldy, fitted the new ones with a bit of squeezing.
Anyhoo anyone got any recommendations for a headphone amp for the HD's, using them with the MDAC headphone out but it's getting past it's best, also got an old Ibasso portable battery powered headamp but it's a bit of a faff charging the battery (it's good it bettered the Graham Slee amp i had years ago by a fair margin).

Anything out there for reasonable money that make the HD's come alive? thank you.
Bit late but if you're still looking I found the Rega Ear to be a very pleasant sounding match. I picked up a Mk1 for a fair bit under £100

I’ve replaced the cable on my 25 year old(ish) HD580’s 3 times but not the deteriorating pads or headband cushion (I’ve had a duster wrapped around the band held in place with cable ties for about six years). During a practice session on my e-drums last week I noticed tiny black bits of foam landing on the snare, one bit of which I couldn’t remove as it seemed to have ‘seeped’ into the mesh head. Bugger. Time to replace a few bits.

The earpads: I decided to pay extra (£35) and bought these https://www.audiosanctuary.co.uk/sennheiser-hd545-hd565-hd580-hd600-hd650-earpads.html from Audio Sanctuary. Fit like a glove, and like Tony suggested, fitting involved pressing them in around the perimeter until they click.

Headband cushion: a bit more problematic as the Sennheiser website sent me round in circles looking for this particular part. Although amazon had a few cheap options, like the one Tony linked to, the reviews are very much mixed; complaints about the foam being too hard, uncomfortable, not conforming to head shape, foam deteriorating quickly, etc’. After too long searching the web, somewhat ironically I ended up back at amazon after using a different descriptor in the search engine. This https://www.amazon.co.uk/AHG-Compat...ted-Black/dp/B0CV7ZFVFP/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21 came today and again is a perfect fit, very good quality, and comfortable. £20. And you only need to remove one clip to slide it in.

I can recommend these if anyone else has been struggling to find these particular parts, and want something that at least approximates good quality. Time will tell of course.

John

ps: never heard of AHG before, but their site on amazon looks useful.​

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back