advertisement

Semi detached houses only

koi

pfm Member
Those of us who leave in semi detached houses are you considerate with regard to are neighbours,

Have any of us sound proofed the walls?

I talk to my neighbours... They know I like to listen, and know I won't be offended if they ask me to turn it down... It works well, as more often than not its a non issue or i switch to headphones before it gets late..

I live in a detached - my neighbour just turns his TV up

The only complaint i ever had was from my father complaining that the upstairs toilet seat was vibrating - This happened when i was using Briks:rolleyes:

Why semis? I live in a terraced house. Problem is on both sides, right? You are lucky with a semi. The living room and the neighbouor's party wall usually has a hall in between. No need to worry, turn it up.

I'm in a terrace but one side is offset and I've asked both sides many times if it is too loud but they've always said no.

I did originally look at some kef ls50 but the bass was too big and went for PMC Dbs1 instead as they are very detailed at low volumes.

It's also a new terrace not an old brick one so is timber framed plasterboard.

Actually, unless you want an older property, in the rural Highlands, detached bungalows are the norm.

Chris

I have credible information that in the N Isles pampas grass growing in a garden means residents open to swinging. Bungabunga!

See my Avondale full set up in the classifieds.

It matters not what you do, unless you get a room sound and transmission proofed 100% the sound will travel either by air or vibration transmission.

Mine is not loud with my neighbours, however there are two small 7 year old children that get put to bed early and the sound they hear means that instead of sleeping they are playing around listening to this music.

I know of someone who likes to listen to brutally loud music and he had the place soundproofed. Not easy, you need heavy materials and gaps to dampen bass.

I generally get on well enough with my neighbours to have no probles, and I've lived in a few places with joined walls. Nevertheless there are some people who you can't please - I remember one such who complained on the night she moved in, at 7.30pm, and again a few nights later. Second time around she was told "No, I'm sorry, what I'm doing is not unreasonable behaviour for 8pm, good evening to you" and she never spoke to me again, which was fine by me. The people on the other side, also joined, were far noisier than I and we got on fine. The only other time I've had a complaint was a family whose teenage son blasted music at stupid volume when they were out and had the nerve to complain to me when mine was turned up one evening about 8. In addition they sent round their cutesy 10 year old to do their dirty work, so I sent her packing and invited her to "send her mum round". After a discussion as to sorting out her lad's behaviour before sorting out mine, and having necessary discussions herself, she went away and I carried on listening. We never really saw eye to eye, but to be honest we wouldn't have done. Crap neighbours are crap neighbours. The current ones I have are stars.

I had this twat move in to next to me who thought he could do what he wanted, started doing his building work at 8 at night, I had his wife and kid screaming at 2 am in the morning, little did he know it had some very loud amplifiers and big speakers next to his wall, in Spain the houses are built very badly, there is not such thing as house to house insulation it's just one thin partition wall (how they get away with baffles me)anyways, I thought I'll soon put a stop to that so I put my big speakers against our thin wall and turned the volume up until his whole house vibrated, the noise soon stopped.:p

Next house will definitely be with no direct neighbor none of this wall to wall daftness like the way the houses are built here.

advertisement

Back