advertisement

Selling, eBay or Discogs?

Bourneendboy

pfm Member
I have decided to try and sell another portion of my record collection. When I did this previously around 6 years ago, I used eBay with great success, selling around 2000 records with only a couple of issues.

The next batch are of far higher value and I'm a bit nervous about using eBay after some of the horror stories I've read about. I've heard of Discogs, but never tried it, are there any users here? It it better than eBay?

I have approximately 100 records to sell ranging in value from £25 each to one around £500. Where would you sell?

I find Discogs a much better platform both as a buyer and seller - though I've rarely sold anything over £100 on there.

I've heard horror stories of people selling minty rare records only for the buyer to demand a refund and return a beaten up low grade copy. I think scams are generally pretty rare though and you have buyer feedback you can check obviously. I've found most people pretty honest - I even sent the wrong record to a guy in Russia once and he happily sent it back!

I find Discogs a much better platform both as a buyer and seller - though I've rarely sold anything over £100 on there.

I've heard horror stories of people selling minty rare records only for the buyer to demand a refund and return a beaten up low grade copy. I think scams are generally pretty rare though and you have buyer feedback you can check obviously. I've found most people pretty honest - I even sent the wrong record to a guy in Russia once and he happily sent it back!

Both the issues I had on eBay were exactly this.

Always discogs for higher value records for me. It does take a while getting to grips with the somewhat rudimentary interface and shipping rates, but it's preferable to eBay. Sold over 200 items, no idiots so far and only one who said the record never arrived.

do not rely on on a record collection as being a best egg, as selling can be slow and laborious, and fraught with scammers.

there are some half decent dealers out yonder, not easy, better to get 25-30% of discogs value, virtually hassle free.

I use Discogs & eBay. Discogs is great if you aren't in a hurry to sell and can get to grips with the somewhat arcane shipping setup. eBay is also good for a quicker sale but I'd normally wait for a cheap listing offer before listing.

Have had generally great experiences with discogs, although as mentioned, whoever designed the shipping policy UI, needs to have a word with themselves :mad:

I haven't sold on Discogs, but have bought well over 100 items via the platform, with only two 'disputes' along the way. I've sold albums on ebay for many years with complete success & no issues.

I am moving to selling on Facebook after selling 2 albums on Discogs and paying both Discogs fees and then a PayPal partner fee which reduced the sale to near bugger all..This did not happen before having to link your PayPal account to Discogs...if anyone has a work around I would be happy to hear it?
I guess if I want to sell on either Ebay or Discogs I have to inflate my prices even more to accommodate hidden charges ggrrr

Here? If they're as sought after as that I reckon you'd shift them relatively quickly to people unlikely to shaft you with fake complaints. I certainly wouldn't sell on eBay for that reason - it's stacked against sellers and condition is hard to prove.

Discogs Seller and Buyer since 2013

It is getting more complicated to use of late, and I don’t like the enforced link to paypal, but for expensive albums it is the medium of choice for me.

Keep proof of postage
Use postage service that matches the value of the item in terms of insurance (basic Royal Mail covers up to £20, signed for is £50 and tracked is higher )

Photograph everything.

read various sellers ‘seller terms’ to get an idea of good practice

Look at how many Discogs users WANT what you are trying to sell, and how many copies are available.
Also look at the sales history, gives a good idea of highest price and how frequent the sales are.

Accurate grading is paramount.

If the records you want to sell are popular and they are in great condition, Go For it! It is good fun to do

advertisement

Back