advertisement

Selling and buying 2-hand Naim

LuisAlmeida

pfm Member
Selling and buying 2-hand allways have been a key solution to upgrade Naim systems, the reliability of the equipments and the support from Naim minimized the risk, even for a Portuguese native like me.
That way I came from a CD3+72+140 to a CDX2+202+200, then to a CDX2/NDX2+282+HicapDR+NAPSC+300DR.
My 282 came from England, my 202+200 from Luxembourg, my 72+140 went to France.
The rest, selling or buying, was arranged locally via distributor.
Now with the Brexit and the pandemic/war crisis it seems that times have changed, I could manage to get my CDX2 repaired and service by Naim last year but it appear that was the end.
I´m trying to sell my HicapDR and CDX2 to fund buying a SupercapDR, I have put a advertisement here and in Hifishark and... nobody answered.
I have no major problem with that, i can swap the HicapDR+282 with a SupercapDR+252 ea$ily.
But I am puzzled...
The Brexit terminated the global 2-hand market of Hifi british companies ?

There is something approaching a world recession headed towards us. There is certainly massive inflation everywhere - fuel and food price rises are absolutely world-wide.
People do not have spare cash as they did even just 6 months ago.

Import/export laws have also changed across the entire world over the past 2 years, except within free trade areas, such as the EU.

Getting anything repaired across borders has not changed significantly however, and not at all within free trade areas. The difference with Naim is only that you now need to prove that the item was sent to the UK for repair/overhaul, and Naim must charge Portugeuse VAT, not UK VAT. If Naim refuse to do this, they are going to lose a lot of business, albeit they may work only via agents outside of the UK.

There is something approaching a world recession headed towards us. There is certainly massive inflation everywhere - fuel and food price rises are absolutely world-wide.

Import/export laws have also changed across the entire world over the past 2 years, except within free trade areas, such as the EU.

Getting anything repaired across borders has not changed significantly however, and not at all within free trade areas. The difference with Naim is only that you now need to prove that the item was sent to the UK for repair/overhaul, and Naim must charge Portugeuse VAT, not UK VAT. If Naim refuse to do this, they are going to lose a lot of business, albeit they may work only via agents outside of the UK.
For the repair there were no problems, I was invoiced by lhe local distributor, I don´t know about the procedures between them and Naim.
And the price was very reasonable.

Yeah it's kind of a bummer. I've been trying to sell my XS3 for a couple of months at least, amazing amp, good price, but no takers, just a whole load of watchers on eBay. I understand it's tough times, a lot of people have way more responsibilities than myself, but I was hoping it would sell a little easier. I was hoping to go up from a Supernait 3 to a 282/250DR sometime this summer, but I now have pretty heavy doubts that the Supernait will sell too, so that's well on the back burner for now! Like I said, bit fo a bummer, but it's totally first world problems, I guess we just gotta hang them out and hope someone picks them up eventually.

as for buying across EU, I know for me personally that since Brexit I've tried to avoid it, the fees just aren't worth it for me in most cases.

Brexit to blame for most sales or buying from the uk. I’ve sold many old Naim items to Europe and Asia, but not any more. In fact I can’t even get a light bulb I bought from the UK delivered to me in Ireland since the changes.

The Unemployment rate in the US is currently at 3.7%, and 3.6 in the UK, who are you listening to that makes you think that "something approaching a world recession headed towards us" ?

Brexit to blame for most sales or buying from the uk. I’ve sold many old Naim items to Europe and Asia, but not any more. In fact I can’t even get a light bulb I bought from the UK delivered to me in Ireland since the changes.

Non-commercial exports to non-EU countries are totally unchanged by Brexit. Quite probably the import regulations in particular receiving countries have changed. If selling via EPay, this will be handled by EPay.

I watch used Naim gear regularly online and tend to buy only when there is a bargain. Naim gear is shifting but at lower prices. For instance dealers are asking £3 to £3.5K for a used NDS but they don’t appear to be selling whereas they are shifting on auctions for between £2 to £2.5K. Market forces responding to global economics?

The Unemployment rate in the US is currently at 3.7%, and 3.6 in the UK, who are you listening to that makes you think that "something approaching a world recession headed towards us" ?

"a period of temporary economic decline during which trade and industrial activity are reduced, generally identified by a fall in GDP in two successive quarters"

I think you'll find that by Jan 23 the UK & probably most of the world will officially be in this position.

"a period of temporary economic decline during which trade and industrial activity are reduced, generally identified by a fall in GDP in two successive quarters"

I think you'll find that by Jan 23 the UK & probably most of the world will officially be in this position.

You "think"? ...OK, I'll be holding my breath, you must have a very good fortune teller and be watching all the right TV channels to make such a prediction. ...

Well I don’t watch TV because they all have their own agendas which rarely coincides with mine.
I’m not trying to convince you just stating what I feel is inevitable.
You cannot very quickly, pump billions into the world economy & not expect to see inflation. Couple that with fuel & energy prices increasing enormously & then throw in a war that threatens the supply of basic foods & a recession is unavoidable.
The correct question is how long will it last?

I’m sure you’re more optimistic than me but you still need to consider the realities out there at present.

Yeah it's kind of a bummer. I've been trying to sell my XS3 for a couple of months at least, amazing amp, good price, but no takers, just a whole load of watchers on eBay. I understand it's tough times, a lot of people have way more responsibilities than myself, but I was hoping it would sell a little easier. I was hoping to go up from a Supernait 3 to a 282/250DR sometime this summer, but I now have pretty heavy doubts that the Supernait will sell too, so that's well on the back burner for now! Like I said, bit fo a bummer, but it's totally first world problems, I guess we just gotta hang them out and hope someone picks them up eventually.

as for buying across EU, I know for me personally that since Brexit I've tried to avoid it, the fees just aren't worth it for me in most cases.

You do need to make sure you're asking a reasonable price. I'm not sure what your price is, but please do be aware that the XS3 is regularly for sale at discounted pricing from Sevenoaks and the like. For example, at present these are available at £1850-£1950 with full warranties. Very few people will buy a used example, often with no warranty, for just a few hundred pounds less. If a popular item doesn't sell then it most likely means that the asking price is too high. eBay, the classifieds here and elsewhere are replete with items that are priced too high (always remember that an item is only worth what someone else is prepared to pay for it, not what the seller thinks is a 'good' price!)

You do need to make sure you're asking a reasonable price. I'm not sure what your price is, but please do be aware that the XS3 is regularly for sale at discounted pricing from Sevenoaks and the like. For example, at present these are available at £1850-£1950 with full warranties. Very few people will buy a used example, often with no warranty, for just a few hundred pounds less. If a popular item doesn't sell then it most likely means that the asking price is too high. eBay, the classifieds here and elsewhere are replete with items that are priced too high (always remember that an item is only worth what someone else is prepared to pay for it, not what the seller thinks is a 'good' price!)

I think it's definitely true that second hand hifi is a buyers market. Some of the losses I see are eye-watering and they still don't sell. The nice thing is I have more rooms than I do amps, so not selling is a perfectly good option too.

Trouble with a used xs3 is that you can get a used Supernait 2 for around the same price

Trouble with a used xs3 is that you can get a used Supernait 2 for around the same price

yeah totally, I had exactly that dilemma when i bought it originally. I eventually went XS3 due to the phono stage, but I think that's a really niche market. Until recently vinyl was a bit of an afterthought for me, so it was perfect for what I needed but since upgrading my turntable and eyeing up separates it looks less so and the Supernait 2 would have likely been the better long term option. Probably would have stopped me buying the Supernait 3 too!

And second hand XS & XS2 are yet far far cheaper if on a limited budget.

Trouble is XS3 is way too expensive new, for what you get.
Following the huge (profit) price increases Naim had come up with recently.

And second hand XS & XS2 are yet far far cheaper if on a limited budget.

Trouble is XS3 is way too expensive new, for what you get.
Following the huge (profit) price increases Naim had come up with recently.

I dunno man, I own both the XS3 and the Supernait 3 and genuinely I don't think there's a lot in it. Undeniably the Supernait 3 is better, but £1400 better? I'm not so sure. I admit I didn't demo the Supernait 3, I loved the XS3 and figured if it's the same but with that little extra then I should just go for it. Truth is, it really is just a little extra. I'd be more inclined to say the Supernait 3 is overpriced and the XS3 is good value, or as close to value as you can get in the world of Naim RRP.

advertisement

Back