advertisement

Sellafield hacked

multilayer security
"We've got very robust multi-layer protection systems that would indicate if anything like that had happened," he said.

"We also have a 24/7-staffed cyber-security operations centre. And their job is to protect the system, to monitor the system to ensure that that never happens."

Asked whether he could categorically reassure the public that there had been no hack, he replied: "Yes, because our systems would indicate if there had been, and there has not."

Unless they didn't.

That's sort of how a successful hack works - you don't know about it at the time.

IME senior management often have a fairly sketchy understanding of cybersecurity so I'm disinclined to give much weight to the comments of Euan Hutton.

The ONR has stated that they are unhappy with cybersecurity at Sellafield.

Time for a proper external audit.

that depends on the intrusion detection they deploy. But there are ways to evade IDSs. Running a closed network is a good way of preventing intrusion unless the actor is on the inside. I know of organisations that have closed networks, no wifi on laptops onsite, no bluetooth at all, no mobile phones in labs.......

that depends on the intrusion detection they deploy. But there are ways to evade IDSs. Running a closed network is a good way of preventing intrusion unless the actor is on the inside. I know of organisations that have closed networks, no wifi on laptops onsite, no bluetooth at all, no mobile phones in labs.......
Yes. Though Stuxnet demonstrated that an air gap is no guarantee if physical access can be achieved. I understand there is a lot of research into breaching air gaps - I suspect you'll be better informed than me on that as it's been a number of years since I did any of this stuff for a living.

Yes. Though Stuxnet demonstrated that an air gap is no guarantee if physical access can be achieved. I understand there is a lot of research into breaching air gaps - I suspect you'll be better informed than me on that as it's been a number of years since I did any of this stuff for a living.

also true

The Sellafield nuclear waste dump is to be prosecuted for alleged information technology security offences, the industry watchdog has said.

The Office for Nuclear Regulation (ONR) said on Thursday that it had notified the state-owned Cumbrian nuclear company that it would be prosecuted under industry security regulations.

Charges relate to four-year period between 2019 and early 2023, and follow Guardian investigation

The Sellafield nuclear waste dump is to be prosecuted for alleged information technology security offences, the industry watchdog has said.

The Office for Nuclear Regulation (ONR) said on Thursday that it had notified the state-owned Cumbrian nuclear company that it would be prosecuted under industry security regulations.

Charges relate to four-year period between 2019 and early 2023, and follow Guardian investigation

Darn it! We were such fools to accept their reassurances.

Me and my partner had a quiet weekend in Seascale last year, it's beautiful up there The horizon is clear of ships and the sky of planes...After a long walk along the beach I found an interesting coloured pebble that I carried for about 10 minutes until I saw the huge MOD sign warning not to remove anything from the shore....

Me and my partner had a quiet weekend in Seascale last year, it's beautiful up there The horizon is clear of ships and the sky of planes...After a long walk along the beach I found an interesting coloured pebble that I carried for about 10 minutes until I saw the huge MOD sign warning not to remove anything from the shore....
If your partner compliments you on your new-found glowing complexion, don't panic!

It's the 'Ready brek' you had for breakfast, isn't it? 😜

John

You still can't farm sheep within certain fields. I'm reminded of the old "If" Cartooons :)

You still can't farm sheep within certain fields. I'm reminded of the old "If" Cartooons :)
Just up the coast, Galloway is home to the Dundrennan Range, where the MOD has spent decades firing depleted uranium shells into the Solway Firth. And a little further up still, sits Beaufort‘s Dyke in the North Channel between Scotland and Ireland, where a shitload of radioactive waste was dumped. It was the main impediment to Johnson’s vanity project of a bridge linking Scotland and Ireland.

Just up the coast, Galloway is home to the Dundrennan Range, where the MOD has spent decades firing depleted uranium shells into the Solway Firth. And a little further up still, sits Beaufort‘s Dyke in the North Channel between Scotland and Ireland, where a shitload of radioactive waste was dumped. It was the main impediment to Johnson’s vanity project of a bridge linking Scotland and Ireland.
They've been saying that much of the land was contaiminated by fallout from Chernobyl. It just happens to peak around Sellafield etc by "happy accident"

I live in Kirkcudbright a couple of miles from the firing range where the 10,000+ shells were fired from and there is 13 radioactive hotspots due to Seascale/Sellafield discharges in the bay that are monitored, obviously we are not allowed to know where they are. Back in the 80’s and 90’s we had a local guy in the town (Dan Kenny) that used to work for the British nuclear agency and he was always campaigning on the issue along with the Sellafield f**k-ups.

The Dundrennan range was one of my favourite local places to go ride on as it was deserted,

1769029456_47f1c3e1a1_c.jpg

A fixer upper

136142000_f0ff9e2fdf_c.jpg

113383054_7cc344ebe4_c.jpg

Dont touch?, Pah…..I’ll touch what I like

136141999_94229e216b_c.jpg

advertisement

Back