advertisement

Sell or keep Naim kit?

BlueZoo

A friend of mine has recently died. He has a Naim system (DBLs, upgraded NAC 282 and 2 NAP 135s with cross-overs, plus an LP12, and various other bits and pieces including a CHC Supercap. It sounds fantastic. There's a bit more to it than this, but I'll save the details for if/when I get any response.

His wife is asking me whether or not it is likely to keep its value (if which case she'd hold on to it). But if it is likely to depreciate strongly she'll sell it.

I would expect it to hold its value reasonably well, but was wondering what other people might think. Also - if she were to decide to sell, what are the best options? Any advice or thoughts?

Can't see it going down too much but also can't see the point in keeping as an investment if she won't use it and get some enjoyment from it. One thing i would say is that she is likely to find it easier to sell this side of Christmas. Summer is never a great time to sell hifi and neither is the 6 weeks or so after the new year. List it on here or the usual auction site.

I agree. But she wouldn't be keeping it as an investment - she enjoys music too, but probably would never have spent as much as he did. She's use it and enjoy it, but not if it was loosing value quickly. Good point about the best/worst times to sell. Thanks.

she enjoys music too

In that case she definitely sell the Naim stuff ;)

But being serious if she likes it then yes she should keep it, just advise her to make sure it's serviced within the recommended times and it shouldn't depreciate much if at all.

Naim s/h values tend to bottom out after a year or two , so she could enjoy many years of music, and only lose a few pounds. Definitely keep.

DKvO50hXkAEHMNs.jpg:large

As others have said, if she's happy with it and uses it then she should keep it, unless she's desperate for the money. Not only will it not lose much value, but she would have to sort herself out another system and could well end up very disappointed.
If it ain't broke.....

I would sell it and simplify, unless she's really keen on vinyl. There are so many good one-box solutions these days.

A friend of mine has recently died. He has a Naim system (DBLs, upgraded NAC 282 and 2 NAP 135s with cross-overs, plus an LP12, and various other bits and pieces including a CHC Supercap. It sounds fantastic. There's a bit more to it than this, but I'll save the details for if/when I get any response.

His wife is asking me whether or not it is likely to keep its value (if which case she'd hold on to it). But if it is likely to depreciate strongly she'll sell it.

I would expect it to hold its value reasonably well, but was wondering what other people might think. Also - if she were to decide to sell, what are the best options? Any advice or thoughts?

Value of the DBL is allready low and might not get much lower
Even they are very large and waf unfriendly there's allways enthusiast wanting these

135 will keep value

In fact its a matter of what she wants, will she need the money or just get rid of it if knowing she can get a Muso or other modern stuff ?
Then put a list on here and let members estimate unit value for getting her aprox value in total.

Asuming she knows nothing about buying newer Naim, perhaps suggest a Muso, Unitiqute or a Nait and the pros and cons

Perhaps she just need a complete Rega setup selling the LP12 too if this is high level/high value
Something like a Brio/Apollo/P1 is a great setup for small outlay
Lots of speakers out there.
Maybe she likes large wardrope sized speakers ?

Most of those components feature regularly in the classifieds. Why not tot up what she'd likely get (taking into account whether or not she retains proper cartons for shipping etc) then just reach a decision on whether or not she likes it enough to keep it all going.
A system that size takes a lot of space and can look a bit 'man cave' but she'd need to spend serious money to better it.
Unless she's an established member here, post-count would preclude the use of PFM classifieds and eBay is usually where the best prices are.
For a music lover, retention is invariably the cheapest option.

There's no magic about Naim that makes it keep it's value any better than anything else AFAIK. It'll be worth half or less for a while then going steadily down. If she likes using it and loves the sound, why sell? On the other hand, if she wants to 'declutter' a bit, then with good advice, I'm sure she can buy as good for whatever she gets for it.

There's no magic about Naim that makes it keep it's value any better than anything else AFAIK. QUOTE]

Well - I've been told it holds its value because of the servicing Naim offers. But since some of the stuff has been upgraded (by CHC) I guess that compromises that.

servicing? For what? I've never known anything solid state need ant attention at all. I guess a CD player may need a new laser every 10/15 years?
Are you sure this isn't a makers claim to boost sales?
Well anyway, hope she makes a decision she won't regret in time.

Thanks for the thoughts above - and the good advice.

She does have lots of vinyl, and a lot of CDs too, but the latter have mostly been ripped onto a server. My friend had just got an NDS (still boxed and unused) to play the rips.

I think that the message I am getting is that it might be a good idea to get a feeling of what the current system is worth, and then decide whether she wants to stick with it or downsize. But there is no need to rush into a decision - she can stick with what she has got and not worry about losing too much money.

I'll talk to her and maybe post more details up if she is happy for me to do so.

But any further thoughts are very welcome.

servicing? For what? I've never known anything solid state need ant attention at all. I guess a CD player may need a new laser every 10/15 years?
Are you sure this isn't a makers claim to boost sales?
Well anyway, hope she makes a decision she won't regret in time.

Well - yes - I have a Technic amp from 1978 that still works fine. But apparently the capacitors Naim use degrade over time, so servicing is recommended every 10 years or so. Naim will also upgrade to latest spec if required. What this means in practice is that you can bring an old Naim unit more or less up to the standard of a new unit for the cost of an upgrade/service. They'll also service even their oldest units. I am told that this helps hold up second hand prices.

I would suggest she keeps it for at least a year.

A year from now it will be worth about the same, and a year on from her sad loss she might be able to make a better decision.

I've sold a bit of Naim over the last few years, including 135s and never achieved the prices I wanted. But surely if the system is to be enjoyed, it's always better to keep than sell and re-buy. Unless you want to seriously down scale. My system downstairs (LP12, Nait 2 and CD5) is of zero asset value to me. I have no interest to muck about with it and over all these years, the its initial cost is long forgotten.

I would suggest she keeps it for at least a year.

A year from now it will be worth about the same, and a year on from her sad loss she might be able to make a better decision.

Very sensible advice.

Get the NDS up and running, then possibly move the CD player on.

advertisement

Back