advertisement

self-build/maintain websites for luddites

richardg

Admonishtrator
Is there another thread somewhere about this?

I ask as I have been using wordpress and associated plugins for the last few years for my label Mollusc Records. Someone mentioned to me a name of one that is even easier, more like drag and drop than plugins (that sometimes need coding on wordpress). I can't remember what he said it was called and wonder if pfmers have any recommendations whilst I wait for him to get back to me.

That said I am thinking of jacking in the whole website thing. It all feels a bit vain, leaving litter all over places like tumblr, flickr and so on seems a better way to operate these days...

Times are bad no one respects their parents and everyone is making a website

That said I am thinking of jacking in the whole website thing. It all feels a bit vain, leaving litter all over places like tumblr, flickr and so on seems a better way to operate these days...

Times are bad no one respects their parents and everyone is making a website

I am with you there. Checking weebly now though as I want a shop page and a blog page.

Well before I nuke my vanity project (because I no longer recognise that guy) have a look at www.epona.co.uk -- they do shop stuff too... I was going to repress some vinyl but I cannot be bothered. It seems like a lot of work and I never look back at old work.

I suspect I may change it soon or kill it off entirely about the same time I have my tattoos removed. Websites seem like a lot of work.

I think fox is a construct that has had its time too...

Yes its a surprisingly nice feeling. It wasn't a very good website anyway and I deleted my soundcloud, twitter, flickr and a few other sites too.

I don't bollock about. Slit its throat, move on... good luck with your venture and I hope you find all you need from weebly.

I don't miss what I cannot readily recall.
To whit...
I need to fire this up in my head before evening pills

Code:
(
Ndef(\alone, { arg amp=0.5;
        var source, local, lfo;

lfo = LFNoise1.kr(0.32).abs*50+[70,0.01];
        source = Decay.ar(Impulse.ar(lfo), 0.1) * WhiteNoise.ar(0.2);
        source = source * [LFNoise1.ar(0.17,0.4,1.1), LFNoise1.ar(0.57,1,1)];
        source = source;

local = LocalIn.ar(2) + source;

local = LPF.ar(local, 400 + LFNoise1.kr(0.1,300,100)) * 1.5;
        local = HPF.ar(local, 100 + LFNoise1.kr(0.15,050,050)) * 1.0;
        local = DelayN.ar(local, 0.2, 0.1);

local = Limiter.ar(local.reverse,0.5);
        LocalOut.ar(local * 0.6);
        local = [local, Decay.ar(Impulse.ar(LFNoise1.kr(2.12).exprange(2,400)), 0.2 + LFNoise1.kr(0.11,0.1)) * local];
        local = FreqShift.ar(local, LFNoise1.kr(LFNoise1.kr(0.21).exprange(0.1,5)).exprange(0.1,500));
        local = HPF.ar(local, LFNoise1.kr(0.4).range(50,170), LFNoise1.kr(0.1).range(0.1,0.7));

Splay.ar(local, LFNoise1.kr(0.21).range(0,1)) * amp;
}).play;
)

My wife used jimdo. Got a site up and running in a couple of eves.

The results are at www.goldleafglass.com

Thee are loads of similar places but she chose jimdo because their home page was easy to follow and their pricing policy was clear.

Phil

Try Square Space, I have heard good things from a few Luddites.

WordPress is the best if you can stick with it and try to learn a little bit of basic HTML and PHP (I realize that's not everyone's cup of tea).

The horse has bolted. Already started a weebly one, which has already shown some limitations in terms of flexibility. But it is easy and a bit of imagination gets you around its limitations with a still fairly slick looking site.

I just dropped an image and some text on my now dead epona website and boom, one holding page. That's enough for me for now. A pic, some text. I might get a less visible domain name and sell off epona... It has some small residual value..

Weebly also gets easier after a few days, you will find there is very little you cannot do with it. Try it for free and when you want to go banner free and live go paid. I hang onto my partners paid for account... Wordpress is like using microsoft word 2000, its inelegant and clunky and needs a nerd behind it... I find tumblr paid for accounts are also a nice simple dedicated blogging platform but I just closed my old writing tumblr just a pony one left now.

A lot of the Internet is about vanity and after a hard look at the cold vapid empty space I call me I realise there is nothing to feel vain about so, After 2-3 months thinking about it I nuked livejournal and killed off my dreamwidth account (12 years of blogging gone in an instant), that felt right.

Sunday was a slash day, I closed down 12 email accounts, shuttered google+, google, flickr a 20 year old demon account, loads of things attached to services I had no idea I had joined. I'm rounding up the stragglers next and shall be killing off ebay (which is easy, I just refuse their new T&Cs) and boom, I am just a ghost on the wayback machine... and PayPal soon too. Quobuz was just closed this AM automatically and I am considering ending Spotify. It's getting a bit cumbersome having access to almost every piece of music on the planet and than having it yanked when a label to decides to stomp off with its catalog. ECM a case in point.

I now have 1 home email address and 1 academic email address and frankly I'm done. The me.com address will soon be shuttered soon.

Today is an apps-i-never use clear out as well... Life in cyberspace was getting more cluttered than life in meatspace and that is not a good thing.

Tattoo removal soon, can't wait.

Feels lighter more people should try it.

Then I might start rounding up the pages for the "right to be ignored" form the EU has pushed through. No real desire to be invisible, but it will piss off google and that is a good thing.

Oh and twitter. All three of those have been irrevocably nuked. Funny thing is all the login services attached to demon will ghost when I have my next cookie clearout as I won't have an email address to password remind to.

I just dropped an image and some text on my now dead epona website and boom, one holding page. That's enough for me for now. A pic, some text. I might get a less visible domain name and sell off epona... It has some small residual value..

Weebly also gets easier after a few days, you will find there is very little you cannot do with it. Try it for free and when you want to go banner free and live go paid. I hang onto my partners paid for account... Wordpress is like using microsoft word 2000, its inelegant and clunky and needs a nerd behind it... I find tumblr paid for accounts are also a nice simple dedicated blogging platform but I just closed my old writing tumblr just a pony one left now.

A lot of the Internet is about vanity and after a hard look at the cold vapid empty space I call me I realise there is nothing to feel vain about so, After 2-3 months thinking about it I nuked livejournal and killed off my dreamwidth account (12 years of blogging gone in an instant), that felt right.

Sunday was a slash day, I closed down 12 email accounts, shuttered google+, google, flickr a 20 year old demon account, loads of things attached to services I had no idea I had joined. I'm rounding up the stragglers next and shall be killing off ebay (which is easy, I just refuse their new T&Cs) and boom, I am just a ghost on the wayback machine... and PayPal soon too. Quobuz was just closed this AM automatically and I am considering ending Spotify. It's getting a bit cumbersome having access to almost every piece of music on the planet and than having it yanked when a label to decides to stomp off with its catalog. ECM a case in point.

I now have 1 home email address and 1 academic email address and frankly I'm done. The me.com address will soon be shuttered soon.

Today is an apps-i-never use clear out as well... Life in cyberspace was getting more cluttered than life in meatspace and that is not a good thing.

Tattoo removal soon, can't wait.

Feels lighter more people should try it.

Then I might start rounding up the pages for the "right to be ignored" form the EU has pushed through. No real desire to be invisible, but it will piss off google and that is a good thing.

What about al the anti-social media like facebook, twitter, linkedin?

Facebook I never really got into, it was way too creepy being the product, twitter was fun for pony fandom but I can read just as well without actually joining it... So nuked I don't think I ever tried LinkedIn. I get LinkedIn "xxx wants to be connected" but that was to my old demon account so it's been stoppered off.

One email
One uni email (while I am at uni)
One website with just a pic

Eventually email will subsume with instant messaging anyway, it's days are numbed. I give email about 8 years in the domestic sphere.

advertisement

Back