advertisement

Select 45rpm

Jim

pfm Member
Tried a search but for some reason won't let me.

Just wondered if anyone has used them? I am looking at their vintage receivers which may go well with my Tannoy Golds. They seem to know what they are doing and certainly have their own comments on which is bad and good. Thank you Jim.

Not sure about their service or quality of their work, but after trawling through the reviews of amps on their website I ended up buying a lovely Sony STR-6050 on ebay. I have to say, it really is a fantastic bit of kit, drives my Tannoy Eatons very nicely, much better dynamics and realism than my Naim CB amps even in its unserviced form. Just a bit of contact cleaner on the pots was needed. I had expected what I thought a "vintage" sound must be like, maybe a bit wooly or soft but big and bouncy, but it is just big, clean, detailed and engaging. Nice at low volumes too, with the loudness button in use, maybe Naim should offer one as an upgrade :)

Thanks for the reply.
Been wondering what the vintage receivers would sound like. Nice to hear it from someone who has one. All the Sony's like yours are all from abroad on eBay. Will this be your main amp now?

I'll be using it as my main amp for a while, but not getting rid of the Naim just yet. I want to learn a bit more about electronics with the aim of being able to give the sony a basic service myself, replacing the capacitors etc. So I'll need to keep a back up for while its not running.

Theres a nice TA-1120A on ebay at the moment but a bit pricey, I've seen them in the states for a bit cheaper even with shipping. They all seem to have 110/60 or 240/50 voltage / frequency selectors inside so buying from abroad shouldnt be too much of an issue. Its probably always going to be a bit of a gamble but they are really well put together and seem simple enough that any good audio engineer should be able to sort them.

advertisement

Back