advertisement

Seen the Sigma DP1 Camera yet?

Interesting. Looks like we might have to wait until the MkII model to get one that actually works, but the concept seems good.

Tony.

Interesting. Looks like we might have to wait until the MkII model to get one that actually works, but the concept seems good.

Tony.

Yes, let's just hope that they don't throw out the baby with the bathwater and decide that it needs some fancy slow zoom lens...

I saw one in a shop the other day and must say it's so much smaller than I realised I should at least go and handle one.

Cesare

Some pictures taken by a user:

http://www.boxedlight.com/dp1/

A mixed bag. Low ISOs look very good, but the ISO 800 colour pictures of BB King have a lot of chroma noise, more than I get at an equivalent ISO with my Pentax K100D.

I'm not yet convinced this offers anything over an equivalently priced small DSLR. It's obviously capable of good images, but slow raw write times, shutter lag, a slow lens, and questions about high ISO performance make it a no more than a curio for me. Be interested to see the results if anyone here buys one. Lot of money though.

-- Ian

A mixed bag. Low ISOs look very good, but the ISO 800 colour pictures of BB King have a lot of chroma noise, more than I get at an equivalent ISO with my Pentax K100D.

I'm not yet convinced this offers anything over an equivalently priced small DSLR.

As far as I can tell it's not trying to offer anything over a small DSLR other than it's not the size of a house brick. It's current competition is the Ricoh GR Digital and only the GR Digital, and judging by the BB King pictures it takes it out into the car park and kicks it to death. Anything I've had out of the Ricoh at ASA800 at a gig is so noisy it's only really of use flattened to black and white. I'm very excited by the sensor technology in the DP1, as a 'proof of concept' it proves the technology exists for someone to build a camera that I would really want to buy. Whether anyone does so is of course another matter...

Tony.

It's £600 with finder, that's very serious money for the performance on offer. And I'm still not convinced by Foveon sensors, every time I see highish ISO shots they look poor compared to the opposition. A compromise too many I think. The forthcoming Olympus E420 with 25/2.8 pancake prime looks like a much more interesting option at £450. It's a bit bigger because it's a DSLR, but still easily pocketable.

All academic for me, as I'm not looking to buy a digital camera of any sort, but I think the DP1 looks like it needs more work.

-- Ian

I agree - I won't be buying one. I just see it as a technology showcase, i.e. one can get a serious sized sensor into a Lomo sized camera, and that is what I wanted to know. I'll now wait until someone does it right.

Tony.

advertisement

Back