advertisement

Sealed bookshelf speaker choices?

chrisgtl

A quick brief history of my system and where I'm trying to finish.

I've had more system than I care to mention. I've settled on a Naim system but I'm still hunting for my perfect speakers.

Currently got Neat Ministras and ATC SCM11. Love the Ministras but they let me down when I want to push the speakers (not really the fault of the speaker as such). I find the Ministra has far too much port flap when the driver is trying to shift a lot of air. Only happens with certain genres, but those genres are popular within my music collection.

The ATCs sound great in the bass region so I'm really leaning towards a fully sealed design.

Basically, I want to have the overall presentation of the Ministras but without the port flap and more slam like the SCM11s.

Any ideas where I need to be looking?

As a fan of ATC speakers, I'd recommend Yamaha NS1000s. While large they work well next to rear walls so take up little room space.
Absolutely no idea how well they sound on the end of Naim, I'm not a fan myself.

Two quite different speakers you have there, how did you end up with them both?

Are there any other models you heard and liked anywhere?

I built a pair of Meniscus Audio Kairos kit speakers which can be sealed or ported.I much preferred the sealed version.They are very good sounding and use high quality SB Acoustic Satori drivers.At least they avoid the "fudged" mid bass hump that seems to afflict most commercial stand mount speakers.
Yamaha NS1000s have their appeal but are let down by poor image depth and centre-fill.

Hi,

Wrt the ports have you tried straws?

Fill the port, do not have them neatly squared off. So they do not form a neat wall, but appear at different lengths. I have normally cut them so that they do not project from the speaker, or hit the internal padding.

Wrt sealed bookshelf speakers I enjoy both the Falcon LS3/5a and the Harbeth P3ESR XD.

The former sounds incredibly similar to my SBLs with my 300dr. But with better imaging.

But, I marginally prefer the Harbeths, which are a tad warmer.

M

Sorry for late reply. Working from home today so catching up with important stuff.

The reason I'm looking away from the Ministra is due to the port flap at moderate to high volumes.

Now I've bought a pair of SCM11s I can hear the difference with a sealed v ported cabinet. I do prefer the sealed sound in my room far above of what the ported can offer.

Anyhow, I went and found my screwdriver and had a look in the Ministras. Removing the foam port restrictor improved the port flap by 70%. I've re-arranged the inner 'stuffing' and this has helped a further 20%. My left channel sounds much better than the left so I need to do that one again.

This is good though, it buys me time to think of my next route - the port flap was starting to get a little long in the tooth, but with these improvements I'm much happier to keep them until.....

I want everything the Ministra has but with the bottom end of the SCM11. Aesthetics are important too, I'm a Oak/Walnut type of guy as is my room so they must blend into the space.

I'm quickly going off the idea of the Neat Majistra - now I've taken the Ministra apart I'm not so thrilled with certain aspects of this speaker.

You haven't mentioned a budget? I'm fond of the ProAc Tablette design, great speakers, limited bass. Buchardt S400 MKII has a passive radiator, works very well close to walls, and the praise is certainly justified. Amphion would be another brand to consider.

Sorry for late reply. Working from home today so catching up with important stuff.

The reason I'm looking away from the Ministra is due to the port flap at moderate to high volumes.

Now I've bought a pair of SCM11s I can hear the difference with a sealed v ported cabinet. I do prefer the sealed sound in my room far above of what the ported can offer.

Anyhow, I went and found my screwdriver and had a look in the Ministras. Removing the foam port restrictor improved the port flap by 70%. I've re-arranged the inner 'stuffing' and this has helped a further 20%. My left channel sounds much better than the left so I need to do that one again.

This is good though, it buys me time to think of my next route - the port flap was starting to get a little long in the tooth, but with these improvements I'm much happier to keep them until.....

I want everything the Ministra has but with the bottom end of the SCM11. Aesthetics are important too, I'm a Oak/Walnut type of guy as is my room so they must blend into the space.

I'm quickly going off the idea of the Neat Majistra - now I've taken the Ministra apart I'm not so thrilled with certain aspects of this speaker.
Don’t take the scm11’s apart! You’ll be staggered at the driver and the size of the crossover inductors compared to the mainstream offerings…

Never heard either speaker, but to echo fatmarley's post above, which elements of the SCM11 do you feel need improvement? I would think there must be a fundamental presentation difference between the two, and you are liking the liveliness of the neat (an assumption), but want the tight bottom end of the ATC?

Edit, just re-read your first post and that is indeed exactly what you are saying :) (always read the question thoroughly ;))

Could someone please define "port flap" for me? I know what a bass reflex port is, but how does "flap" come into it?

Could someone please define "port flap" for me? I know what a bass reflex port is, but how does "flap" come into it?

I always thought it was a myth. I must have been doing something wrong for years.

Monitor Audio R852MD worked for me for 20 years on Heybrook HBS01 stands. A favourite of the Flat Earth ERA like the Saras.

advertisement

Back