advertisement

[FS] SD Acoustics SD1 speakers (WAM show favourites)

ajm

pfm Member
For sale are a pair of sealed enclosure SD Acoustics SD1 speakers.

These speakers were shown at the recent WAM show in Barnsley by Lawrence001. They were my favourite sounding speakers at the show and Lawrence said that a number of people had commented favourably at the show after hearing them. After chatting to Lawrence he said that he was selling them as he had too many pairs of speakers and so I bought them from him.

I recently tried a pair of Yamaha NS1000m speakers and to my ears the SD1s sound as good as the Yamaha speakers. I felt that the NS1000s were slightly more analytical whereas I felt that the SD1s have a slightly more forgiving nature that I could listen to for hours.

So why am I selling? Well, after having got them home they are are bit big for our living room and SWMBO has decided that they have to go and so for the sake of marital harmony I've decided to sell.

Price is £395 including a spare pair of tweeters and the speaker grills.

This is the same price that I paid to Lawrence so I'm just looking to re-coup my costs. These speakers are a bargain IMO - in addition to the NS1000s I've auditioned new speakers around the £3k to £4k mark from Sonus Faber, Spendor, ATC and Dynaudio in the last twelve months and I can honestly say that all of them had strength and weaknesses but I can't imagine that you'd find many speakers that are better for £395 than the SD1s.

I don't have boxes for these so collection only from Cheshire area.

Thanks

wam.jpg

Last edited:
If I had the room I'd have these back in a flash! Quite possibly the best speakers I've owned in many ways. Wide baffles and a high volume to driver diameter ratio. Some very positive feedback from Barnsley, including 3 best in show comments.

They're big but the looks are cool in a retro/Ercol type way.

Me and my friend listened to these for a good while with a selection of tracks of our own choice… yes we liked them and this is a massive bargain. They are just to wide to place in my listening room sadly, I’d have loved to have tried them here otherwise.

Hello,

I don't have any information regarding the drivers inside them but the size of the speakers are:

42 cm wide
69 cm high
34 cm deep (top of speaker)
42 cm deep (bottom of speaker)

any better photos?
I can't really sell what they look like?

Do these have rear ports or would they work in a small room?
Are they efficient?

What amp have you used them with?

What are the drivers? size etc?

Thanks

They are sealed enclosure speakers so don't have any ports which helps with room placement. My room is quite small and they sounded good - it's just that visually my missus isn't too keen.

I've tried them with a 40w/channel valve amp and a Naim Supernait which is 80w/channel and they worked well with both so I don't think they need a massively powerful amp. The bass driver measures 8 inches across.

Below are some photos:

IMG-6582.jpg

IMG-6583.jpg

IMG-6584.jpg

IMG-6585.jpg

IMG-6586.jpg

I tried them with KT66 valve monoblocs, Monarchy Audio Class A monoblocs (as heard at the Wam show) and a 90s Sony monster ES amp and they sounded great with all of them.

To my ears the magic is in the mid range (being a well designed 3 way) and the bass (being large sealed boxes). The bass didn't go stupidly low but it sounded so natural and un-box like compared to almost any other speaker I've owned, and loaded the room nicely. At one point when setting the show room up I got this magical feeling of the bass just filling the room up without being resonant or peaky.

The treble is nice too, it just doesn't particularly stand out (which is how treble should sound to me).

Last edited:
Bump for the OP. Just to remind everyone these may be the only pair in existence and they sound great, see the posts on the Wam.

Have to say I’m really tempted by these… but being several hundred miles away I think it’s unlikely to work…

Are the LF drivers a bespoke job or something that could be replaced if needed?
He was a cottage industry maker so they would have been commercially available drivers but I don't know the type.

@ajm hope you don't mind me butting in, I feel a responsibility to find these a loving new home!

advertisement

Back