advertisement

Scissor Sisters

Paul Dimaline

12" round member
Ive been after this album for quite a while, but every time I made a visit to Selectadisc in Nottingham they never seemed to have a copy. Anyway as I was in the area today I popped in and asked if they could get me a copy. "We've got it in stock, its in the Electro Trance section" was the reply. Well, this got my alarm bell ringing. Being a bit of a fuddy duddy when it comes to 'modern music', I had second thoughts for a moment, but decided to give it a go as I do like the singles. Well, i'm sure glad I did. Although i've only listened to it the once, its a cracking album in my opinion.

Laura and Take your Mama are the first two tracks but after that its a bit of a surprise. There are alot of influances in the music, one or two sound a bit motownish and the opening bars of another reminded me of Nutbush City Limits. While not in any way foul, some of the lyrics are a bit eye opening!

If you hate the singles, then the rest of the album may well bring you round. If you like the singles on the other hand, dont expect more of the same, but I doubt you will be disapointed.

Paul.

I need to get a copy ASAP - I've seen their live performances at the summer festivals and they left me well impressed. A band with attitude, and there ain't enough of them around!

Tony.

Given my musical tastes which I guess are well documented on the Naim Forum I will simply state that this is the only new release that I have bought this year - and they are quite superb.

Mike

Not heard the album, but the tracks I've heard on the radio recall a good record I've just picked up, The Twelve Dreams of Dr Sardonicus by Spirit.

Similar sort of colorful but pithy progressive pop, with a laidback attitude and catchy rythmns.

Kit,
If you like "Sardonicus", check out the 3 earlier spirit albums, "Spirit", "Clear Spirit" & "The Family That Plays Together". Marvellous stuff! Spirit were one of the GREAT bands.

advertisement

Back