advertisement

Schiit Urd vs Audiolab cdt 7000

hifinutt

hifinutt
The schiit urd been out a while now , anyone using one . not been much on the cdt7000 but heres a interesting video on the two compared

He doesn't hear a difference, he says buy on features. The world's first honest cd transport review!
well summarised . he also complains about the urds idisyncracies in the opening of disc tray or not , and the on off switch at the back .

I use a Schiit Gungnir multibit dac which has a Unison usb input, so the Urd interests me from that perspective. From what I have read, though, the sonic advantage of the Unison usb connection seems to vary by quite a wide margin from user to user.
Schiit has gone to considerable lengths to promote the “usb hub” feature of the Urd, but for my purposes, it’s a low priority at this time.
The Urd has a high spec Stream Unlimited drive/laser mech, and a metal tray which should equate to durability. That is the main reason why I would consider the Urd.
All this to say that, while interesting, the Urd may not be my first choice.
I have read some discussion about a future Urd that would feature the same Stream Unlimited drive, and the Unison usb digital output, but without the ”usb hub”. That would be of greater interest to me, but it may never materialize.
I really like my Schiit Gungnir dac, though, and I appreciate Schiit’s marketing philosophy as well.
The Audiolab 7000CDT seems like a good option, except for the plastic tray.
Of all the transports that are within my price range, the Atoll DR200 Signature seems like the best fit for my needs.

Last edited:
yes be interested in how you get got with the atoll which is slightly more than URD in uk but has an aes .

lordibibiza on here said this recently

I have the Audiolab 6000 CDT and recently bought an Atoll DR200 Signature, on the recommendation of a friend with very high-end equipment. They are not big differences, but the French has a better sound. More scene, more detail, instrumental separation... It's also another price and the Atoll has a better construction in addition to a quieter and finer operation. I will sell the Audiolab.

advertisement

Back