advertisement

Schiit saga plus pre amp and stereo

Schiit Saga+ has a valve & Saga S has no valve
Schiit Freya+ has four valves & Freya S has no valves

If you read the description on the website it says that you can buy the Freya + either with valves included or without, in which case you supply your own. My question was whether the same applied to the Saga +, or if it always came supplied with a valve.

regards

Kevin

Any ideas as to why the silver-coloured versions of the Schiit pre-amps cost more than the black ones? Has anyone compared the 2 finishes side by side.

Kevin

Any ideas as to why the silver-coloured versions of the Schiit pre-amps cost more than the black ones? Has anyone compared the 2 finishes side by side.

Kevin

just simply that the silver is harder to make without scratching it up, is what I read. Seems counterintuitive to me but I don’t know anything about manufacturing metal.

I have a few black and a few silver Schiit products. Both look good for what they are, so I think it’s just a personal preference. Forced to choose, I like the silver, but in my office I do enjoy looking at the black Gjallarhorn. It’s a cool looking little package. My Vahalla 2 in silver with 4 tubes sticking out the top looks cooler, but of course it does.

Thanks for sharing your reports. I was considering this recently. It was between the Saga or Softone’s model 5 preamp. Went for the latter to try. No idea what to expect.

I’d be interested if you plan to sell the SC22 in the future sorry off topic.

with regard to the saga,I swapped on a Khmozo dual mono and couldn’t hear any difference…
the sc22 is for sale on the classifieds;)

Did you ever fix the hum with the Stereo 20? I like the look of these but can’t bear to bring another hum into my system that needs fixing. I’ve had plenty of experience of that and it’s the most annoying problem.

This fixed the hum when I used a Croft Micro 25 with my Stereo 20:

https://ifi-audio.com/products/gnd-defender/

Also, does the Saga plus always come with a valve? I see that they are optional with the Freya.

regards

Kevin

I discovered it was a combination of mains lead and strip plug socket.
There’s is a minor hum but no where near as bad and have a feeling the els57 aren’t helping.
Tried attenuators doesn’t make any difference.
Item was bought second hand, but came with a Russian valve.
Indecently the valve stays lit all the time.
I run it in passive mode without the valve installed.
Have recently got a 10k dual mono Khmozo for a second system,and there is no difference with my ears.

The hum or ground/earth loop will more than likely be coming from the ST20. Its not a fault but just the way the amplifier is wired. It can be corrected and still able to meet full UK electrical safety standards.

Graham, I presume this requires the use of a soldering iron. Many times I have wished to send my ST20 to a correction facility.

Kevin

It is down to the consistency of colour and finish from the top-plate suppliers. By spray-painting black it reduces the occurrence of rejects and keeps the cost down.

Andrew

Any tips and tricks…?

I’m trying a Saga + at the moment with my Leak ST20. Initially load hum. Put the iFi GND Defender on the back of the Saga - no hum. These things work really well for me. Luckily the Saga has a normal AC inlet on the back rather than relying on an off board power supply with a 3.5mm plug into the amp.

Sound wise the Saga is as good as my Khozmo. Convenience wise - excellent. The clicks of the volume control turning when using the remote are quieter than the Khozmo.

Kevin

Have u tried swapping out the factory mains lead,it cured my hum pretty much?

I now run mine passive all the time,with the tube removed as this stays on regardless of modes unless removed.

Agree with you soundwise,i have a dual mono khmozo 10k pot and its as good as in my ears.

Sounds really sharp with the 306 also.

I honestly think its the best bit of kit i have bought,like u say convenience wise also excellent.

Did u go black or silver ?Looks like you pre amp journey is finally over:)[/QUOTE]

Have u tried swapping out the factory mains lead,it cured my hum pretty much?

I now run mine passive all the time,with the tube removed as this stays on regardless of modes unless removed.

Agree with you soundwise,i have a dual mono khmozo 10k pot and its as good as in my ears.

Sounds really sharp with the 306 also.

I honestly think its the best bit of kit i have bought,like u say convenience wise also excellent.

Did u go black or silver ?Looks like you pre amp journey is finally over:)
[/QUOTE]

I haven’t tried a different mains lead. May give that a go tomorrow.

I went for silver as black was ‘out of stock’, though I'm not too bothered by the colour.

Yes, I think this pre pretty much meets my needs, although who knows what ideas I may have in the future.

regards

Kevin

Sound wise the Saga is as good as my Khozmo
Interesting. Kevin, can you remind me which Khozmo you have? The Saga is single ended only afaik so I'd be looking at a Freya to replace Khozmo single ended (ST20) and a Dac VC balanced (Genelecs).

Any thoughts on Freya+ or SS, anyone? My other option is the Topping Pre90 - both equally liked-ish by Stereophile.

Interesting. Kevin, can you remind me which Khozmo you have? The Saga is single ended only afaik so I'd be looking at a Freya to replace Khozmo single ended (ST20) and a Dac VC balanced (Genelecs).

Any thoughts on Freya+ or SS, anyone? My other option is the Topping Pre90 - both equally liked-ish by Stereophile.

My Khozmo has 3 RCA inputs and 2 RCA outputs, a single stereo remote controlled volume (20k I believe) and is apparently upgraded with Amtrans AMRG resistors.

If it had remote control of its input selector I would not have bothered looking for alternatives.

Kevin

The old saga was the best Schiit pre i tried, better than Freya+ and Freya-s. But alas i needed balanced. Fun fact: in passive mode it could run without tube.

I definitely like the + more than the S. The s had a steely timbre i could not get past, jfet buffer mode on the + is a lot better. Tube is naturally a bit smoother, more flavorful etc and customizable. But to my ears the buffered mode was more transparent. It’s a reasonably close second the to the Saga, passive mode with Freya was never for me, either i needed both xlr and rca outs for subs or it did not have enough drive, sounded a bit limp.

But decided to let go of the Freya+ anyway and looking for something else to consolidate pre and headphone duties.(shameless plug)

Can you not have XLR and RCA out simultaneously in passive mode? Are you selling your Freya+?

advertisement

Back