advertisement

Scammed online. Advice please?

strummer

pfm Member
I tried to buy a pair of shoes from the German website of a reputable British company, Loake (I’m currently in Germany).

The purchase appeared to go through fine.

But when the funds were taken, I immediately noticed they went to another company & a different amount. Looks like a Chinese company, Ahoomall.

I used my Revolut Disposable card, which is Mastercard. I reported the issue to Revolut immediately, but they say there’s nothing they can do. I have to file a Police report.

I’ve emailed Loake with screenshots. I suspect their site has been Hacked.

Where would I file a crime report for this?

Have I any hope of getting my money back?

I would post screenshots, but no idea how to.

Thanks

Last edited:
My browser won’t even let me go to that site it’s so dodgy. You’ve been scammed I’m sure. Nothing to do with Loake either I reckon. You should take the link down in case it hosts any drive by stuff.

So sorry to hear that. I had a similar thing but for lower value clothes. Also purchased via revolut 'disposable card'. I put a 'chargeback' request through Revolut and while they didn't give me anything back it might be worth doing the same for your case.

At least they can't take any more money from you but its still crap i know.

I was scammed last year on Facebook marketplace for just under £300 I eventually got the money back from my bank because I’d been obviously scammed (APP) the bank were brilliant btw, might be an idea to contact your bank/CC provider.

Btw that scammer is still on FBM still scamming people he/they are using photos of a Niche Zero coffee grinder.

Not sure why I’m not getting email notifications, so I’ve just seen these.

Yes, my card is cancelled, as it’s a One-time-use disposable one, for online purchases.

I can’t believe the Revolut refuses to even report this to Mastercard. It’s like they’re aiding the scammers. So I have to find my own way to report it.

The website looks convincing. I’ve reported it to Loake.

Hopefully Mastercard will be able to recover this.

I’ve seen a few websites recently (including one purporting to be Loake) offering huge discounts, I imagine they are scams or counterfeit goods and steer well clear.

I’ve seen a few websites recently (including one purporting to be Loake) offering huge discounts, I imagine they are scams or counterfeit goods and steer well clear.
That is very true but the expensive brands also have genuine end of line and discount outlets. They don't use their own for these so as not to be seen to diminish brand value and standing.

The website looks genuine. It’s called Loakeschuhe, but I’m in Germany, so that’s about right.

I’ve emailed Loake in UK to ask if their site has been hacked.

If that’s a scam site I may never shop online again. There’s nothing that suggests to me that it’s anything but a genuine site.

How did you find out about the site? There is only one trustpilot review which says it is a scam site. Could you report it to the German equivalent of our Trading Standards? Also report Revolut to British trading standards, if a different amount to what you authorised has been taken then that is surely fraud.

I Google searched Loake Köln, as I was hoping to find a shop. That site came up. Looked genuine.

I’m definitely done with Revolut now. Not the first problem I’ve had with them.

Having carefully investigated your dispute request submitted on
27/01/2024, we've concluded the claim for the following transaction(s) is not valid:​

Transaction Date
27/01/2024
Merchant Name
Ahoomall
Transaction Amount
€102.19
Amount Refunded
We couldn't find any traces of fraudulent activity on your account. After a careful investigation, we've identified that the transaction(s) you've marked as unrecognised were made with a virtual disposable card. These cards are designed to be used once, and since the details of this card can only be accessed through the app, we cannot treat this transaction as unauthorised.
We know that the details of a transaction can sometimes look unfamiliar; this is usually because the merchant name is a bit different to the name of the business you’ve shopped with. It can help to think about similar transactions you may have made around the same time.
If you don't agree with the outcome of the dispute request and you're sure you've been a victim of fraud, you can file a police report if you haven’t already done so.
Thanks,
Team Revolut

This really is beyond belief. They couldn’t find fraudulent activity?
I sent them a fcking screenshot of my Confirmation on a LOAKE website.
And for an amount different to that charged.​

OP go through your bank or CC provider. I thought I didn't have a hope in hell of recovering my money as I'd paid the scammer via bank transfer but the bank is part of some organisation that reimburses customers who have been the subject of deliberate on line fraud.

"Authorised push payment fraud (APP fraud) is a form of fraud in which victims are manipulated into making real-time payments to fraudsters, typically by social engineering attacks involving impersonation.[1][2] These authorised frauds can also be related to investment scams, where the victim is tricked into sending money for investments that do not exist, and to romance scams, where the fraudster tricks the victim into thinking they are in a relationship.

Until 2019 in the United Kingdom, because the victims of these frauds authorised the payments, albeit mistakenly, they were typically not fully reimbursed by their banks.[3] From May 2019 some victims will receive a refund under the Contingent Reimbursement Model Scheme,[4] a voluntary scheme overseen by the Payment Systems Regulator that provides protections for customers of signatory firms[5] subject to a number of exclusions."

OP go through your bank or CC provider. I thought I didn't have a hope in hell of recovering my money as I'd paid the scammer via bank transfer but the bank is part of some organisation that reimburses customers who have been the subject of deliberate on line fraud.

"Until 2019 in the United Kingdom, because the victims of these frauds authorised the payments, albeit mistakenly, they were typically not fully reimbursed by their banks.[3] From May 2019 some victims will receive a refund under the Contingent Reimbursement Model Scheme,[4] a voluntary scheme overseen by the Payment Systems Regulator that provides protections for customers of signatory firms[5] subject to a number of exclusions."

Thanks TT, but Revolut is my CC provider & I’ve been speaker to them since the transaction went through.

They are the morons who state they couldn’t find Fraudulent Activity.

A virtual card is not a credit card, it is classed as electronic money as it has to be preloaded.

They're also not covered by section 75 (as it's not a credit card)

I doubt if you'll be able to request a chargeback from mastercard as the payment was authorised.

I'd raise your issue on the revolut forum and ask for advice or guidance there

advertisement

Back