advertisement

SCALFORD SHOW... 2015

I hate a closed mind, but we operate a strictly no-Clapton, no-Sting and no-Dire Straits rule in my house. I had to explain this to a punter a Scalford And before you bollock me for this, the kids voted the rule independent of the fact that I own no records by these bands (and might have attempted to disbar Supertramp and Jethro Tull, inter alia, if offered a vote). Makes me proud of the kids too.......;)

For those who listen to nothing but I guess I understand, but I don't have a problem with any of them.

My kids are currently listening to Rudimental, Foo Fighters and Royal Blood though and they are 5 & 8! l

Clapton Unplugged seemed to be staging a remarkable comeback at Scalford. I avoided it in at least 4 different rooms.
Managed to miss Clapton- it was maybe the first show where I have not heard that Hugh Masakela train song.

Well Noel liked it all...

http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/index.php/component/content/article/741-hifi-wigwam-show-2015.html

hfw_5141.jpg

That picture is worryingly sort of Kraftwerk-y.

That he did.

Thanks for the loan of your 57s, without them their would have been no Quad Experiment!

Paul did mention this article as giving him ideas about something else to try. Having made stacked 57s for the previous Scalford, we felt that there were other approaches tha we coudl try with them to reduce the severity of some of the faults that people perceive with 57s. Paul came up with the concept that did just that.

Was this inspired by Peter Walker's article?
Indeed it was. But I think the article is wrong, not about the benefits of a transmission line, which, AFAIK, remain unexploited even in the ESL63, but about the stereo implications.

Paul

I recall visiting SME a few times in the late 80's and hearing Alastair Robertson-Aikman's system which comprised 4 x ESL63's arranged as below.

sme%20quads.jpg

I never really did get my head around what he was doing but the scale & power handling seemed similar to that of your arrangement.

It did give a fairly convincing rendition of the Decca opera pieces he liked with precise location of the performers and their movements about the stage.

I wish I'd had time to hear a well recorded & simply mic'd piece on your set up. The 25 minute prog extravaganza was interesting (& entertaining!) but didn't convey enough about the 3D possibilities of the system to hear what it was doing.

Thanks for making the considerable effort though. Such extremism is what makes Scalford unique.

I once saw a pic of ARAs loudspeaker system. Lots of heavy angle iron bolted to the speakers and flimsy curtains in front, sort of like a stage. Was it like that when you were there?

Yes, there were electrically operated acoustically transparent curtains and some heavy mods to the ESL frames which I gather were frowned upon by Quad. The whole room was styled to be like an opera house with statues of Blackamoors carrying flames etc. As I recall, this custom built listening room also had a truly massive concrete slab ceiling.

He was a very nice friendly chap who loved his music & took its reproduction very seriously. I think his son now runs the business & inherited the house & this room.

I recall visiting SME a few times in the late 80's and hearing Alastair Robertson-Aikman's system which comprised 4 x ESL63's arranged as below.

sme%20quads.jpg

I never really did get my head around what he was doing but the scale & power handling seemed similar to that of your arrangement.
ESL63 at right angles makes sense, but I'm not sure that orientation follows. I think our setup with 4 or 5 ESL63 would be very interesting indeed. Maybe next year...

I wish I'd had time to hear a well recorded & simply mic'd piece on your set up. The 25 minute prog extravaganza was interesting (& entertaining!) but didn't convey enough about the 3D possibilities of the system to hear what it was doing.
It was 'Right Off' by Miles Davis from the Complete Jack Johnson Sessions. We have to allow Mr Ogle his head, earlier he had played a full 30 minutes of Deep Purple. I suppose one of the things about Scalford is that we can afford to challenge the punters...

Thanks for making the considerable effort though. Such extremism is what makes Scalford unique.
Thanks, and I agree, hopefully some more full on horn madness next year?

Paul

I think you may have the rear speakers on the wrong sides of the front pair in the diagram - they are better on the outside.

I can confirm that this arrangement, which I have run for almost two years, addresses many of the issues with stacking 63s. These are caused by the delay line and the need to preserve imaging and soundstaging with multiple panels.

The arrangement would not apply to 57s, which can, of course, be stacked, arranged in fours surround-style or arrayed across a stage etc etc - what hasn't been tried over the years?

Anyway, 4x63 run off two stereo amps addresses the volume limitations of 63s and improves bass. It also, I think, removes much of the effect of running a pair of dipoles in a room - it equates more closely to conventional speakers because you add in side wall reflections.

I found that staggering the height of the speakers, as well as setting them at right angles, improved imaging substantially by giving a better impression of height.

Sadly, still has the rolled off top end and the bass isn't quite right - so I've installed a pair of Magnepan 3.7i and a stereo amp and its ... just better.

Still have enormous respect for what was achieved with the 63s and, as with 57s, playing with them should be compulsory education for hobbyists!

advertisement

Back