advertisement

SBT always chooses WiFi over Ethernet - any ideas?

JTC

PFM Villager...
Hey folks,

My SBT always seems to default to wifi over wired, despite my constant changing it to wired. Any ideas how to force the wired connection (that doesn't involve altering the existing wifi connection settings, i.e. password, identity publishing etc.)?

ta

The only way I know, after it has been on wi fi is to do a reset, and push it onto wired when you set it up again.

I Think you should be able to turn off Wifi. You may have to do this by way of Telnet. I'm sure someone has made a script for doing this. I did it myself before installing the Triode Enhanced Digital Out as I had drop outs with 176 and 192 khz wireless.

Best wishes,
Peter

If you go into the advanced menu options on the touch interface, you can directly set the Ethernet interface...and it will always use it. I just did this last week when I gave up on my wireless interface to carry hi-def audio at 176.4 or higher (Triode EDO).... and went to an external 802.11n bridge that works like a champ.

jt25741 - but this is just the problem - this is what I do, and it always reverts back to wifi. I have gigabit ethernet directly connected to the back of the Touch, so no reason whatsoever to ever use wifi on that particular device, but regardless it always tries to connect (and usually succeeds) via wifi before ethernet.

I think you'll find that, next time you power the unit down (for whatever reason) it will go back to wifi on startup. Try it, report back (if you could)?

Hi JTC,

Nope....it persists after reboots. I have 2 SBTs, and the other one has been configured this way since EDO came out....rebooting many many times....every time....it comes up on Ethernet, not wifi.... This is after wifi was configured on each.......but Ethernet was selected in advanced settings networking menu on the actual Touch. I am not sure why mine behaves differently than yours or others....but it is definitely persistent.

As a workaround..I didnt need it.....but you could use MAC address access control on the AP, and deny the SB MAC addresses...that should definitely stop things. But I would like a better explanation as to why it is working fine on both my touches.

advertisement

Back