advertisement

SBL Gasket and pads

say it as it is

pfm Member
Ok I have been looking into SBLs the gasket kits are silly money if simple neoprene gaskets I should be able to sort that ok. its the aluminium pads I am not sure about 0.28mm? that seems a little thin and not many places that stock plate this small. Ay suggestions where I could get some?
Silicone any run of the mill silicone?
any other bits needed? the spikes generally ok?
also seen the top box should be connected with a jig according to the original build instructions, what gap should this be, am sure can come up with some way to maintain the gap

cheers

I repositioned the ally pads, pull out the staples, fill any holes with wood filler and put pads back in slightly different position.

A nice double album worked to space the top box

I remember being told or reading somewhere to put a smear of washing up liquid around the surfaces before applying the silicone sealant because it sticks like hell and will make removal in the future very difficult (the sticking like hell part is very true)
To be honest I think it's all bu****it Naim marketing, but you will need the enclosure to be sealed. Better than silicone would be PU18 because it's viscoelastic and will help damp vibrations far better than any silicone. It sticks like s**t though, so probably best to use the washing up liquid trick.

Reference section SBL rebuild.

This included a link to aluminium strip of the correct thickness but it seems the link to ebay is too old. I can look up where I bought some later but there was a supplier on ebay doing a shortish strip of the right thickness IIRC. Others have used the side of a coke can ... or as suggested above just move your pads a bit.

Any decent silicone sealant, preferably clear.

Unless abused the spikes will be fine, all they "see" is a thin bit of aluminium and some wood.

The original spacers were just some thickish cardboard. It never was a precision thing.

Once you've set the middle box and allowed the silicone to set, test that you have got an air-tight seal: push in the bass driver gently and it should return slowly to original position - if it moves quickly then you have a leak in the sealant somewhere.

Brilliant SBL gasket DIY write-up by dubblebubble. I had to refer to it yesterday as I sourced SBL PF sale for a mate over the weekend.

Yes great reference piece I have ordered some neoprene and some aluminium sheet.
Other great tip was to gently push the driver in and see how quick it returns to check if the seal is airtight.

Hey guys, not sure if I’ve cocked up. Ordered neoprene sheet to make the gaskets and It feels really solid like a hard rubber rather than spongy like the original gasket is. I gather it must come in different grades or types? There’s no give at all in this material.
It said neoprene suitable for gaskets and I thought must be the right stuff.

I now assume this must be no good.
Can anyone advise and point me to what exactly I should have ordered instead? Wouldn’t care but I ordered more than required in case made mistakes

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back