advertisement

SBL D2008 tweet alternative?

When I first bought my Wilmslow audio Home Studio Monitors they used the 3/4" D2010/8513 and I thought it was a very nice tweeter, but Wilmslow advised me to upgrade to the 1" D2905/9500 which I did and that was a revelation it really opened up the speakers but required cabinet and Xover mods but it was worth it its a beautifully open & sweet tweeter with natural voice sound and pretty flat from 1k - 20k I still have them now and a spare set. I don't think the 9700 do that much more in fact I was in Wilmslow audio earlier this year and they told me that the D2905/9500 is still their best selling tweeter

Alan

Anybody fluent in French?

http://www.synthese-hifi.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12526 (page2)

It's thrown up the Scanspeak D2905/970000 (I think) as the one Audio42 used?
Nice tweeter the 9700, definitely not interchangeable with any of the above mentioned tweeters though. It's a 1 inch driver for a start so the response goes much lower which would seriously mess with the acoustic transfer function if you stayed with the same XO. The zobel network of the crossover referenced in your build thread is also very much designed for the impedance curve of the expected tweeter.

Stefan

The IBL and SBL use an interchangeable cross-over, yes.

Sheer madness, must have been a budget decision. I've never heard the SBL or any other NAIM speaker for that matter. I guess it is quite spot light across the XO region to listen to crossing over from such a large midbass to such a small tweeter. Off axis performance must also be pretty different from the on axis I'd have thought? any idea what the mid driver is?

Stefan

The Mk1 was a Mordant Short derived Mid-bass, the Mk2 was a Naim design. I've got Mk2 drivers in Mk1 cabs.

Pointing the drivers towards the ceiling may be a nod to the off-axis performance? I always thought it was Time-alignment.

Alan, did you change the X-over when you changed the tweets, or was it already designed for the 2905?

Mark :p

The xover was designed for the 8513 and I tried it without changing anything and the improvement was huge but probably just lucky and the 9500 is 6 ohm not 8 ohm of the 8513.
I then modded the Xover to suit the 9500 but the xover point didn't change as its only a 2 way and 2.5K suited the Volt BM220.8 mid bass
It was slightly better again and more balanced with the modded Xover
Lovely tweeters the scanspeaks but not cheap

Alan

The Mk1 was a Mordant Short derived Mid-bass, the Mk2 was a Naim design. I've got Mk2 drivers in Mk1 cabs.

Pointing the drivers towards the ceiling may be a nod to the off-axis performance? I always thought it was Time-alignment.

Most probably is time alignment. It's the mid bass whoose off axis performance will be bad, at these frequencies the cone is Likely to be well into break up as well. The rule of thumb is to cross over from a mid bass before the wavelength of the the higherest frequency you want to reproduce approaches the size of the cone. Not sure exactly what the usable diameter of these 8 inch drivers are but if we said 7.5 inches you'd not want to cross any higher than 1.7Khz and ideally you'd want to stay at least half an octave away from this, above this beaming and breakup is unavoidable. This is compounded by using a 3/4 inch tweeter that won't play as low as some of the 1 inch tweeters which means crossing higher than the mid bass is comfortable with. These are the reasons that the majority of 2 way speakers are of a 6+1 design crossing at about 1.8Khz. Some more expensive 1 inch drivers can comfortably go a lot lower and cross to an 8 inch at say 1.6Khz but at the expense of power handling. 3/4 in tweeters tend to be used in 3 way designs where you are crossing to a mid at say 3Khz.

That's all ball park stuff but I hope it helps.

Stefan

Lovely tweeter that, use it in my active set-up, I've seen some applications where is crosses very low although I cross to a 6 inch revelator at +- 1.7Khz in a 2 way design. However i'm starting to move toward a 3.5 way design, crossing to a illuminator 12mu*** at about 3 ish Khz then onto a pair of 6.5 inch revelators working in .5 configuration. I'm hoping to get most of the voices and fundamental instruments playing via the mid and using the 2 6.5 inch drivers to correct baffle step and give me enough oomph to stay sealed with a possible linkwitz transform (or DSP eq approximating that) probably means I'll have to high pass everything above say 25hz to keep cone excursion within limits, but that's fine. It's all active with DSP so fairly easy to make measurements and refine the implementation as I go. Hopefully be ready for Scalford next year if they let me go again - I upset them on the forum post show last year :(

I've also used that 9500 tweeter you spoke about earlier, lovely tweeter and is now probably the sweet spot in the range in terms of SQ vs price. TBH the only reason I got the expensive jobbies I have is they give such latitude for different implementations to be experimented with. unless I burn them at some point (which is likely running DC coupled 400W active amps) they will be the last tweeter I ever buy.

If I was building a speaker for someone else the 9500 would be a good place to start.

Stefan

advertisement

Back