advertisement

Sat-nav assistance

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
iPhone using Apple Maps, voice commands turned off (as foreign pronounciations appalling).

Keep old TomTom in car for Switzerland, where I don’t have data included in my EU package (if I’m on a new road - rarely - I just data roam until back in a recognisable location).

Modern phone is so much faster & more powerful than TomTom, although presumably new TTs are also fast...

I will not go down the phone route, even though we have 4g as I would like to add dash-cams also and these are system compatable on Garmin.

I have at least 25 maps of where we have been on holiday, love a map. Street plans ok too

Bloss

Last edited:
Love my TomTom satnav, think it was £100 and includes live traffic. I do 40k a year with it and wouldn't touch my phone for navigation aside from the odd emergency or making a one off trip.

Only negative is it can sometimes be a bit slow working out the route after putting in the next post code but it's not the end of the world. Other bloke at work uses a Garmin and it's absolute gash.

iPhone with Apple Maps here but keep am old TomTom in the boot just in case. I like Apple maps as it links to Calendar on IOS & OS X so I get alerts about what time I need to leave to arrive in time for appointments. Very handy. I've heard that Apple Maps collects data from Waze too.

Last year had a hire car that had no built in satnav. Hire company gave me a Garmin to use for the duration. I was impressed by how it worked, its interface and its routing options

I'm off to Malataverne later and have total faith that my Tomtom will get me there without any challenge.
I'm sitting here on the sofa planning the route from my laptop that I will then send to the 6000.

If you know the areas you are going to you can download map areas in Google Maps and use them off-line, using no data.
The maps stay on your phone for 30 days then auto-delete.
If travelling in Europe you can download the maps at the hotel for the next days journey.

Had a great drive from Imlil to Essaouira in Morocco doing that, my navigator had to shut her eyes and scream for a couple of sections but amazing views of remote countryside.

Downloaded the maps in Kasbah de Toukbal or similar.

We use a Garmin Nuvi which has UK and Europe maps. It has free map updates for life, you just hook it up to the net. Most cash converter shops have them. You can have a borrow if you like...we shan't be using it for a while.

We use a Garmin Nuvi which has UK and Europe maps. It has free map updates for life, you just hook it up to the net. Most cash converter shops have them. You can have a borrow if you like...we shan't be using it for a while.

Thanks Mike, but we need one full time. The way the memory is going will need one to find the local shops.

Bidding on a Garmin on ebay at the moment.

Bloss

Love my TomTom satnav, think it was £100 and includes live traffic. I do 40k a year with it and wouldn't touch my phone for navigation aside from the odd emergency or making a one off trip.
I used to enjoy my old TomTom, especially when Homer Simpson was giving the directions and he got excited about the possibility of an ice-cream van after the next turning.

We were at a BBQ next door when their phone rang - hostess came back after a protracted conversation "That was some other friends who are coming - apparently Tom Tom have never heard of Morden....."

My folks are smartphone hold outs and insist on using a tom tom. I was thinking about getting them both palm pilots for Xmas, but I don't think they'd get the joke. :)

Seriously Chris, a smartphone running maps.me or CoPilot GPS connected to the dashcams via Bluetooth will provide a better user experience. I have the whole of the UK loaded into both apps on my smartphone and they'll always get you home - automatically update too.

Google with live re-routes for traffic is unbeatable, though. I do worry that they might get in touch with Swale council to let them know how often this Maidstone resident visits their recycling centre.

The times I've used google maps on my phone it's not been the best experience, the GPS seems slow and not very accurate, my TomTom can tell the difference between a slip road and the carriageway, Google maps has put me on completely different roads to the ones I'm actually on!

It also goes a bit wappy when in a poor signal area where as the satnav never flinches aside from tunnels and multi storey car parks.

After being showed how WAZE functions, my wife downloaded the app and we have used it on a couple of drives, all good.
Will still buy a detailed map of the actual area though.

Bloss

I use my phone a lot but TomTom as ever is in my view the best standalone. The old ones allowed you to create a route online then share that route, so it’s been used extensively over the years for European road trips with friends. Much prefer it to Garmin as had that integrated into a touch screen head unit in my previous car for six years. Route avoidance and POI’s on or at end of route was way better.

It still does things I prefer over smart phone apps, but where they really score is with live traffic information. It’s simply better and more detailed than any of the systems which rely on the data obtained via FM transmission.

Oh - mine is a TomTom Go930.

advertisement

Back