advertisement

Sarah Thomas Swims Channel x4.

Very nice interview with her mother on Today R4, this morning - her daughter was asleep!!!

The whole thing is even les sane that it first appear. On her first day she had a spell where she was constantly throwing-up, and the effects of the salt water on her mouth means that she basically can't speak.

A truly amazing lady.

Looking at the GPS tracking data she did ~130 miles in total. That’s equivalent to about 6 direct crossings.

I want to know what her secret is for warding off cramp. I do a lot of swimming (well, not by her standards, and in a heated pool) and I start cramping up after an hour or so.

My cousin (female, age 49) swam the channel about 3 weeks ago and she was telling us the things she had to put up with. 4 times is mad.

Incredible. I knew a chap who swam the Irish sea - NI to Scotland. He gave up on his first attempt after swimming into a shoal of jellyfish. These people are definitely a different breed.

Swimming the channel just once is amazing in itself, but an astonishing achievement to cross it 4 times.

IN my teenage years I used to swim open water distances of 10-15 miles and 5k in the pool, and in fact my swimming coach wanted me to step up to attempt the Channel, but I lost interest. I have done enough open water swimming off our coast to know the crap obstacles (literally sometimes) you'll meet along the way.

IN my teenage years I used to swim open water distances of 10-15 miles and 5k in the pool, and in fact my swimming coach wanted me to step up to attempt the Channel, but I lost interest. I have done enough open water swimming off our coast to know the crap obstacles (literally sometimes) you'll meet along the way.

Me too, only I used to do it holding my breath underwater.

advertisement

Back