advertisement

Samsung Qled TV repair, worth it?

amazement

pfm Member
My 3 year old Samsung Qled TV has gone on the blink, basically it turns itself on and off constantly. Turns on, screen goes blank and then turns off.
Question is, is it worth the cost to repair or junk it?
Samsung gives no indication of the cost to repair or what a call out fee may be on their website.

I had a screen go on a Samsung just outside of warranty and it was about £150 from memory to fix it.

Worth contacting local repair outfits to get a price before junking it.

It appears Martin Dawes are Samsung UK official repairer, £99 call out fee and would need to take TV away to diagnose and fix, plus cost of parts.

Contact who you bought it from. You would expect a 3 year old telly to still work. You are protected by the consumer rights act.

My repair got paid for by the seller. Mine was about 2.5 years old.

Contact who you bought it from. You would expect a 3 year old telly to still work. You are protected by the consumer rights act.

My repair got paid for by the seller. Mine was about 2.5 years old.
According to Samsung it is out of warranty of 12 months.

specifically, the bit:

Your consumer rights will usually apply even if your manufacturer's warranty or guarantee has expired, and retailers can't ignore this.
This.

The manufacturers warranty is irrelevant. A product is expected to last a reasonable amount of time and is covered by the Consumer Rights Act.

A three year old telly is not old. I would expect a longer life. Therefore, go to the seller and quote them your legal rights. I suspect they will pay for the repair, like they did in my instance.

EDIT: just found my similar stream. Link to Wam thread below. Post #13 says the info you need to know.

If you can't get a manufacturer repair I would make some enquiries locally and then think about replacing it. The prices of secondhand TVs are just for nothing, frequently less than a repair.

If you can't get a manufacturer repair I would make some enquiries locally and then think about replacing it. The prices of secondhand TVs are just for nothing, frequently less than a repair.
Yep, many may be upgrading to a new one after only a couple of years or so, and they are too bulky / fragile to send, so Gumtree or ebay are worth a shot for local bargains. Or get a new one from Richer Sounds with 6 year warranty.

My 3 year old Samsung Qled TV has gone on the blink, basically it turns itself on and off constantly. Turns on, screen goes blank and then turns off.
Question is, is it worth the cost to repair or junk it?
Samsung gives no indication of the cost to repair or what a call out fee may be on their website.
which model do you have? I had a 2021 55qn700a which after about 7 months did exactly the same. After a battle with Samsung for a refund they dug their heels in and insisted on a repair. I relented.
After another 2 week wait for an engineer, I was informed their was no spare parts available so I could either get a brand new replacement or a refund. Bought a replacement Sony oled the next day. It’s been spot on since.
If you have a search online, it seems this is a very common fault with the Samsung qled sets that year.

which model do you have? I had a 2021 55qn700a which after about 7 months did exactly the same. After a battle with Samsung for a refund they dug their heels in and insisted on a repair. I relented.
After another 2 week wait for an engineer, I was informed their was no spare parts available so I could either get a brand new replacement or a refund. Bought a replacement Sony oled the next day. It’s been spot on since.
If you have a search online, it seems this is a very common fault with the Samsung qled sets that year.
It does appear to be a feature (fault) with Samsung, I've spoken to a local repairer who will give me a quote to fix, in the meantime I've ordered a replacement from Richer with a six year warranty.

My ancient Samsung series 6 has pretty much come of age.

It's now had to be repaired three times, though fortunately I'm sufficiently competent to have repaired it myself each time at very little cost.

First failure was a fairly well publicized drying out of caps on the PSU board problem and I was able to find an internet seller with an exact BoM for the repair and then go and buy the correct caps even cheaper in Maplins closing down sale. Under a fiver spent!

Next time one of the silicon devices in the PSU blew out so I had to source a whole PSU board. Ebay and under £20.

Then the mainboard went - TV came on at random and wouldn't turn on and off on request, again Ebay to the rescue and under £20.

Your best plan is to put the exact make and model number into Google and Ebay searches and see what drops out. You might find it's a well known issue and an easy repair.

It's generally worth repeatedly fixing them up until the panel goes or there's some intolerable absence of a new feature - at which point it's landfill.

advertisement

Back