advertisement

Samsung Galaxy S7 / Apple iPhone S6+

mattski

pfm Member
Hi,

As a long time Apple iPhone user I fancy trying something different and the Galaxy S7 Edge looks really nice.

Have any of you successfully moved from an iPhone with a Mac and using iTunes and iPhoto to an Android based system? If so, what are you uszing and what are the pain points you've found? (I heard double twist is painfully slow at getting music into the phone)

Thanks
Matt

I went from an iPhone 5 to a Galaxy Note 4 and back to Apple and a 6S+ The Galaxy was ok especially not being as 'nanny' as an iPhone. However I find the iPhone simpler to use. I don't have music on my phones so can comment on speed.

My experience is that the SQ of iPhone 6S is quite remarkable. I have owned many DACs, but only the Hugo at present. I'm soon to purchase some special noble audio CIEM but currently use shure's 846, directly with the iPhone. It's too convenient and sounds way better than it should. Even with Spotify premium, Tidal adds a bit more, like the AIFF files, but I wouldn't want to have any bets on a blindfolded test.

What I am saying is if SQ is a factor, apple all the way. I have not heard the samsung offerings but my findings are in-line with those on head-fi.

My jump was from a 5S and still to this day does the sound put a smile on my face as I get lost into the music.

The Hugo moves things forward, as did the Mojo but there is nothing wrong with a bare iPhone and well mastered music IMO.

As for speed, the A9 processor kills the S7 on the benchmark tests I have seen.

Matt, at the risk of being labelled an Apple Fanboi... don't do it!

I had a Google Nexus for a year (after an iPhone 3G), and could never get away from the feeling with the Nexus that I had a small computer in my hands, and it needed me to occasionally do computery things to it to make it work. With an iPhone you have a device that just gets on with being a phone/app device.

Also, if you have other Apple devices you'll be surprised how awkward it feels mixing Android and iOS.

I now have a 6S+. Very nice, even if I feel a little like Dom Jolly if I make a call on it.

HELLO!

I got a samsung J5 two weeks ago. I went back to my iphone 5s two days ago. The iphone is better in every way imaginable. I hate itunes, btw. It's why I tried the samsung.

After a while you become conditioned to whichever platform you are using and that makes it hard to switch. I have used both, iPhones and Android and my preference is for the latter. The last iPhone I had was a 4s and now find it quite difficult to go back to using iOS (my wife has a 6s). The iPhone 6s is an outstanding phone as is the Galaxy S7, so you cannot go wrong with either. Just don't believe people who tell you one is vastly superior to the other, that is not the case, they are just different.

If it makes any difference to you, Samsung's ethical record with respect to supply chain management, recycling, renewable energy sources etc. is far worse than Apple's

Even as an Android/Windows person myself, IMHO I'd say why change when you have a complete cross format package? Surely the convenience of that must outweigh any different flavour Android may bring to the party and is much of the reason to have ikit in the first place.

The Edge 7 is a bit tasty though!

I'm typing this on my MacBook Pro, my iMac is in the office, and I've had iPads, iPhones, but have always found the Apple infrastructure rather limiting, and at work we use Google for email and calendars and so I've got used to using Google for email, contacts etc. So, I can make a free choice between iPhone and Android, and at the moment I'm using a Galaxy S5 mini, which is ok sound quality wise. Also in the household is a S4 - definitely not as good, and an iPhone 6 (teenagers don't have the same choices apparently) and the iPhone sound quality is ok, but I'd rate it as slightly inferior to the S5 with the same headphones (HD600) - but different output amps may suit different impedances, etc, so the comparisons may be invalid. I really, really hate iTunes but I rarely use my phone for music - really only when travelling on planes and trains, so I can safely avoid iTunes most of the time.

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

I'm trying an S7 Edge at the moment and it's a very impressive device compared to the iPhone S6+ that I also tried.

The form factor, screen, battery life, camera, speed and expandable storage feel so much better than the iPhone which was behind in every area and far too big and heavy for me.

The Android operating system has some very nice touches and feels more advanced than ios. The edge screen and display with the cover closed is a stroke of genius and "ok google" seems better than "hey siri".

But, there is that integration thing that's not quite there.

Sound quality feels pretty good but there's something about it that I can't quite put my finger on as to whether I really like it or not; although the adaptable sound thing is neat - room correction for your head!

I also don't like that I need to run anti virus and malware stuff. Also, for some unknown reason my spotify app lost its data and refused to start. It was only after a complete reset of its data and caches that it was sorted but needed to download media again. No problems with that app after a couple of years on an iPhone.

So... as a device it's great, the software is nice but you're right Ian - it feels more like a computer than an iPhone with all that entails.

The jury is still a little bit out and a regular iPhone 6s may be the way to go but I'd really miss a bunch of stuff this does if I go that way. It so fast and the screen is amazing for a start.

My experience is that the SQ of iPhone 6S is quite remarkable. I have owned many DACs, but only the Hugo at present. I'm soon to purchase some special noble audio CIEM but currently use shure's 846, directly with the iPhone. It's too convenient and sounds way better than it should. Even with Spotify premium, Tidal adds a bit more, like the AIFF files, but I wouldn't want to have any bets on a blindfolded test.

What I am saying is if SQ is a factor, apple all the way. I have not heard the samsung offerings but my findings are in-line with those on head-fi.

My jump was from a 5S and still to this day does the sound put a smile on my face as I get lost into the music.

The Hugo moves things forward, as did the Mojo but there is nothing wrong with a bare iPhone and well mastered music IMO.

As for speed, the A9 processor kills the S7 on the benchmark tests I have seen.

Pedro I have sure 846 too, great headphones. But I do not agree that there is nothing wrong with bare iPhone. There is. You can get so much better dynamic and sound quality with decent DAP.

Time to eat my words...

I gave an S7 Edge a go and it's a nice bit of kit, but I'm not sure I could live with it long term and the Spotify app issue was the last straw.

So, I've got an iPhone 6s+ with 128Gb of storage and it's all "just working" again; and it does sound better to me as well. Yes it's big and heavy but I'll tolerate those.

advertisement

Back