advertisement

Salas Folded Simplistic Phono stage

cutting42

Arrived at B4 Hacker Ergo
This is my attempt at one of Salas many projects from the DIY Audio forum. There was a group buy back in 2014 that I was a part of for boards and a minikit of parts. It has sat in my electronic drawer for many years and I have finally got the time to dig it out and build it.

The support from Salas and others in diyAudio.com is excellent and the project is not too tricky with a basic knowledge of electronics. There are very clear instructions on component selection and matching and it also rewards careful building and can make use of "foo" components as well as a more utilitarian selection.

There is a massive build thread 1768 pages so searching for help and guidance is required but Salas himself is quick to answer questions. https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/129126-simplistic-njfet-riaa-1786.html

The build itself is a fairly simple stuffing exercise once component selection is complete and there is comprehensive instructions on setting voltages and biasing. Two boxes is recommended with the Raw PSU in one with the main board with shunt PSU and RIAA stage in the other. I have bought two Modushop Galaxy cases but currently it is just on a test board.

50006311921_530737f0f5_c.jpg

50006321266_afb368d384_c.jpg

My previous phono stage were modded Naim cards, not sure if that is a "known" reference but I will certainly give my impressions once complete.

Will follow with interest as I also have a set of boards but never got round to building it:)

Alan

Which page of that mega-thread is the 'final' circuit diagram on? Or is it the circuit in the first post that's used?

Which page of that mega-thread is the 'final' circuit diagram on? Or is it the circuit in the first post that's used?

All the links are on the first page but here is a link to the build guide and the group buy page.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/129126-simplistic-njfet-riaa-998.html#post3614630

I should say if you are thinking of doing this and don't have the boards already there is an updated version that I believe is a little less finicky to build and configure.

This is the new version GB thread

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/354704-gb-buy-salas-ultrafsp-riaa.html#post6209956

Like you Alan I have a Paradise but there is something about the FSP which keeps drawing me back to it.

I assume you have built one as well Marra, what TT/Arm/Cart? What were your findings?

Yes a few years back. Cartridge is a Goldring rebuilt Koetsu Red mounted on a Home grown 12" unipivot arm on a modified Lenco GL75 ( Carls workshop plinth; Jolyon bearing driven by a Nigel's speed controller. Very pleased with the sound quality.

Yes a few years back. Cartridge is a Goldring rebuilt Koetsu Red mounted on a Home grown 12" unipivot arm on a modified Lenco GL75 ( Carls workshop plinth; Jolyon bearing driven by a Nigel's speed controller. Very pleased with the sound quality.

I love the setup. My next diy move will be the TT and arm I think. It is the only element of my system not diy currently. I am looking forward to finishing the FSP and playing some music.

Couple more pics. I have finished the build and boxes and re biasing for the increased heat in the box. I now need to play with the loading resistors and get it run in.

50033301403_34ef666810_c.jpg

50033840851_f298980e9d_c.jpg

advertisement

Back